Sport Arch Question .

Jack M

Reaction score
2014 will be our 2nd season of boating and I don't know anything about skiing or tubing .

On the spec sheet it lists "Xtreme Arch With Bimini Top ( Forward & Aft ) LED Lighting & Ski Tow"

Can this also be used for tubing ? Is there most resistance with a tube over ski's or boards ?

I have a few more days to add to my order and I am trying to decide if I need to add a Ski pylon or not .

If I can pull a tube from the arch I don't see the need.

Thanks, in-advance for your comments  

Tubes are considerably higher stress on the boat, especially if the front gets submerged, which can happen often.

Almost all wakeboard towers specifically tell you NOT to tow inflatables without explaining exactly why, but it is both because of potential injury to riders who become airborne and possible damage to the boat from the stress. You will find many differing opinions on this, but as long as we remain a litigious society those warnings will be there and people will sue, because they can, for zero dollars. I have no idea what Bennington's position is on this though, but they have lawyers too.

If you decide to pull tubes, make sure you get a special rope rated specifically for tubing.  They need to have a VERY high tensile strength, or they will snap and injure someone when the ends whip back.

Don't use a ski rope or wakeboard or kneeboard rope for pulling a tube. 

One other comment - Pulling a tube uses a lot more fuel than skis or kneeboards.  You need power to pull someone up on skiis, but once they are up, pulling a skiier is VERY fuel efficient compared to pulling a tube.  Tubes have a lot of drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely a NO for towing a tube from the tower. As others have said, ridiculous amount of force when pulling a tube. I also believe it has something to do with the angle of the rope, it would have a higher tendency to "lift" the front of the tube, which could allow air to catch underneath it and lift out of the water. There are MANY YouTube videos of one type in particular which would get astonishingly high in the air, then most times DRIVING the passengers down into the water quite forcefully. 

Now that I have found out that you can Not tow a tube from the Arch .

Is there any preferences for the pylon ( 52 or 46 inch ) or the tow bar ?

Thanks ,again .

I think our dealer just orders all of them with the taller pylon now. It was intended to clear the Verado, which is an inline 6, and maybe the taller offshore Yamaha's (250/300/350).

46" in works for the 250 SHO. But, if had to do it all over I'd get the 52". Main reason, to stick the go pro up higher over the motor.

100% pylon, looks much cleaner. As for height, well I've had both, and they both work fine. No problems with either. The taller one keeps it that much higher over the motor, but I never had or saw an issue with the shorter one. It easily keeps the tow line clear of motor.

I am going to go with the taller pylon .

So where are these go pro videos Jarred?

Lol. I got it for Christmas, No boating related ones yet. The most I have used it for has been to capture the neighbor boy in the act playing, "doorbell ditch". Not only did I get the lil' shaver on video, I also got his foot prints in the snow. Lol

He's in first grade so he actually does not know we know it is him. :)

Now back on topic ....I'm thinking about doing two things with my ski pole.

1.) threading the top so the go pro is fastened securely.

2.) making an insert for my collapsible tailgate flag pole.

Lol. I got it for Christmas, No boating related ones yet. The most I have used it for has been to capture the neighbor boy in the act playing, "doorbell ditch". Not only did I get the lil' shaver on video, I also got his foot prints in the snow. Lol

He's in first grade so he actually does not know we know it is him. :)

Now back on topic ....I'm thinking about doing two things with my ski pole.

1.) threading the top so the go pro is fastened securely.

2.) making an insert for my collapsible tailgate flag pole.
I used the clamp on mine and it works great on the ski pole.

I bought the roll bar mount. Hopefully it fits. I'm kinda excited about the flag pole too. I'll be able to attach the gopro to that too. Might make for a cool perspective on a not so windy day cruising slow.

Looking forward to seeing your videos. I want a go pro like crazy but our CFO here at the house doesn't see the point when we already have a hi def vid camera.

Andy,

Drop it in the water and say, "see I told you we should have got a Go Pro". Let us know how that works out !! LOL !!!

She'd say, go get it!

I take that to mean go have a nice swim ;-)

Back