Sport Performance System (SPS) Package vs. Elliptical Pontoons

tcpip95

Reaction score
I have the 24SSL with elliptical pontoons and noticed that Bennington now has an SPS package. Both are rated for 150 HP. I don't recall the SPS package being available when I bought my boat last year.

Was wondering if anybody here has the SPS package, and if so, did you do a comparison (i.e. test ride) to the elliptical pontoons in terms of performance, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not do a comparison test but looked at both and Paul Weber @ Sealand in Omaha said that the SPS would be a better option for us as far as tubing, skiing and fishing. What kind of Speed are you getting and turning? I was super impressed on both we own a nitro 180tf with a 115 we have had for 14 years love that boat, The benningtion performs much the same. That was something I was not expecting.

We drove both at the club event and the elliptical felt like our two toon boat. The SPS was a lot smoother, and felt more lineal when getting on the throttle. Our next boat with have the SPS package.

Here's are the test results from last year when I first got the boat:

- 24 SSL

- 32" ellipticals

- lifting strakes

- underside wave shield

- rough water package

- bimini top open

- extended aft deck

- 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke

- 14.5 x 15 SS prop

- 41.8 MPH @ 6000 RPM

- Charlotte Harbor, FL

- salt water

- 88 deg air temp

- 84 deg water temp

- 10 mph wind

- light chop

Boat is very fast but turns like the Nimitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
After test driving both at the club event, I believe the SPS is the way to go. It was a much better ride.

+1 on what Chris said. We didn't even drive the ESP as we are not looking to spend that much but I think the SPS was a great handling setup. If was night and day difference between our two toon boat.

The ellipticals are the more efficient in speed and fuel mileage--but just by a little.

Weight carrying is about the same on each.

The difference would be in handling, with the edge going to the SPS hull.

I would be going for the SPS hull with a 150 hp 4 stroke if I was buying today.

Why not the new 200?

Our 22SSX with sps only has a rating for a 150 or we would of liked to go bigger but we were already $40+ So for the additional 4-5 mph we didnt see any advantage. for the money next boat will be at least a 24' with a 250 but thats just the need to go faster!

Amen to that brother Calamus!!! Hehe

The 200 it is! I don't want to have a PAD relapse next year wishing we went bigger! 2nd boats the charm right Derrick?? I mean third times the charm right Derrick!!!

Hehe, I've decided it's not good for me to use clichés anymore, it always comes back to haunt me! Example, "after our first one, we knew what we wanted" "we know we spent too much, but this boat will have everything we will ever need" "this is our dream boat" 2 months later the tower is shown. Third boat comes in, stereo is mostly done, now we think this is it! 2 months later again, now they have an I/O on a 2375! Hahaha guess we'll wait and see!!

Oh and Andy, are you thinking the 4cyl 200? I would like to see what a comparison between a fully loaded 200 4cyl vs a 6 cyl. There must be some draw back no? Oh Andy, I wish you would have at least tried the ESP. It's a game changer.

My next one is a 22 with sps and a 150, If i Lived on a lake or had a cabin on a lake I would go bigger and badder ( Jealous of all of you who do ) so the 22 with a 150 behind a camper is big enough for me.. :rolleyes:

Hehe, I've decided it's not good for me to use clichés anymore, it always comes back to haunt me! Example, "after our first one, we knew what we wanted" "we know we spent too much, but this boat will have everything we will ever need" "this is our dream boat" 2 months later the tower is shown. Third boat comes in, stereo is mostly done, now we think this is it! 2 months later again, now they have an I/O on a 2375! Hahaha guess we'll wait and see!!

Oh and Andy, are you thinking the 4cyl 200? I would like to see what a comparison between a fully loaded 200 4cyl vs a 6 cyl. There must be some draw back no? Oh Andy, I wish you would have at least tried the ESP. It's a game changer.
Yeah we're looking at the 2.8l 4 cyl. 200. It is only 80 pounds heavier than our 115 was. I know the ESP is totally different but we won't be cutting back and forth too much and the SPS put a big enough smile on our faces to make us sell ours. Our biggest disappointment with the old boat was the sense of rolling over in corners and the feeling that someone unplugged two spark plug wires as soon as 3 or more people boarded the boat. I know of the saying there is no replacement for displacement but you have to be cognizant of weight to power ratio. I don't have experience with the 6 cyl but I thought the 4 cyl was super smooth, quiet and had no power throwing the power down. I emailed Mandy @ Bennington today and she shared some info on testing between the 150 and 200. Based on what I saw a heavier g series with a tower did 3.5mph faster than the 150 so I would image our 24 sslx with sps and 200 might hit around 43ish. Who knows though as hp can vary 10% from the decal. I guess I'll have to wait until the boat is ordered and if the ice is back on when it comes in, wait until spring again. Sorry for the hijack on this thread but it does involve the 200!!

I'll bet you a virtual dollar that you'd see more than 43mph...

I'm at 42 with EP and a 150. I wonder if I'd see 43 mph if I had a17p prop instead of my 15p...

SPS and a 200 would have to be faster I would think.

Keep in mind the 200 inline is only 16-18lbs lighter than an SHO, depending on shaft length.

I think the main advantage of the inline 200 is it's very narrow profile for twin engine retrofits on center console type boats, so big in the re-power market.

Tom hit it right. The 200 4 cylinder was really built for the repowering world, especially duals on medium size fishing boats that can be closely mounted together.

As a single engine on a full hulled boat, I'd prefer the torque of the 6 cylinder 200. But weight is such a factor on lightweight pontoon boats. (All pontoon boats are relatively light for their length and width.)

I'd like to see a comparison boat test to see how they perform.

Back