Sport Tower/Arch owners... cover question ...(pics of boat as well)

Newport RI

Reaction score
Hoping others may have a solution or advice... the rear area where the playpen cover goes around the rear tubes (2 tubes come from one hole) where the area velcros and ties up still leaves a decent size opening and when one pulls the strings to tight it sucks in the fabric basically creating a funnel down into the boat... my lounger seat behind helm rear under cushion is filling with water... and its a plastic bin so does not drain. One day of rain got 3 inches of water in that small cavity. Any suggestions?

I cant seem to upload the pic of exactly what I am talking about errrrrrr...... got two other general pics up but not the one needed. Hoping people with same issue understand what I am trying to say here... Thanks all

photo.JPG

photo(4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have similar challenges with the Morring cover and the 1 X 1 tubing. How do you get it to "seal" so it does not drain down the pole?

I don't think you'll ever get them perfectly sealed. My RLi leaks some. They are made to protect it more from sun damage .....

Maybe just install a drain tube in the one that fills up, like a livewell drain.

Also, look at how Jeeps have a wrap around strap on their tonneau covers, maybe try to make something like that..... Just a thought

Water or not, what a pretty boat. I have a fever, and the cure is not more cowbells, but those cool blue lights on the side of your boat.

Thanks

With the sport tower the rear ties loop around two poles with a small

Gap between them And concave in once tied. Does not let just some water it

But channels water in. Light rain and I have 3 inches at least

In under rear portion of back lounger. (And does not drain) Benny has to

have a work Around for this I hope. It's a terrible design to accommodate a very

Expensive option in the sport tower.

I will try and get the pic posted. Tx

People around here who have wake boats with towers that aren't under a canopy sometimes use an inverted heavy fabric "cone" that velcro straps tight around the tower supports. It sits above the cover and sheds water from the opening. It looks kind of like those plastic e-collars they put on dogs to keep them from licking a wound, except upside down.

They do sell pretty wide Velcro. I think I've seen 3 inches wide online before. That might be a pain, but you might be able to seal the funnel by strapping it tight with velcro that's wide enough to do the trick... This is not a design solution, just a possible work around. Easier than duct tape!

Here's what I'm thinking, if you could modify the cover OR, have something like this made seperately (the part at the bar), in a dual opening that could be placed over top of the existing cover and the outer edge would drape down over mooring cover.

Here's a bad photo of what i mean......

gallery_1371_170_10208.jpg

Here is a pic that E.M. Was nice enough to actually send me a long time ago when I started trying to figure out my tower dream. Not sure what the solution is, but here is a pic.

What if you modified it by installing snaps that would pull it tighter around each pole, THEN, also have a nother flap that snapped on that basically went from one pole to the other. It would close off the majority of the opening............

Thanks

With the sport tower the rear ties loop around two poles with a small

Gap between them And concave in once tied. Does not let just some water it

But channels water in. Light rain and I have 3 inches at least

In under rear portion of back lounger. (And does not drain) Benny has to

have a work Around for this I hope. It's a terrible design to accommodate a very

Expensive option in the sport tower.

I will try and get the pic posted. Tx
So is it going into the compartment that houses the batteries? Maybe take a pic under that lounger seat and show where it ends up. Definitely won't be good if that's where the Batts are. Just thinking that's where they were in my 'old' RCW

No but good question. Battery compartment drains

Where same spot opposite side does not. Will drill a

Few weep holes and should be ok.

No but good question. Battery compartment drains

Where same spot opposite side does not. Will drill a

Few weep holes and should be ok.
I'd use tubing from the hole and go through the deck (check beneath first so you don't drill into a wire or something) to drain under the deck, if not, all it does is dump the water on the carpet under seat.

And you know what that leads to ..... just a recommendation :)

Really need better pics to understand exactly what is going on here, but looking at the pic Bulldog posted (which I'm reposting to save scrolling) I'm thinking that the issue is with the rear most portion of the tower with the two poles.

sml_gallery_696_59_1059860.jpg

What if you run a small line up over the first vertical bar and use that to 'raise' the opening such that you no longer have a funnel? Something similar could be done at the front. Here's a modified version of the pic above crudely illustrating my idea:

towermooringcovermod_zpsed42a25e.jpg

I also noticed in the pic the "flap" is folded down on the leading edge of the front rear bars into the hole, make sure that string flap is outside and it at least removes some of the pathway for the water.

So I followed up with my buddy EM about his boat (the one with the towel I posted) and he let me know that his dealer did some alterations to the cover and now no problems. I'm not 100% sure what the alterations were, but I got him to send me a few pics so maybe you guys can spot the differences. More importantly, maybe TB will get a hold of someone at the canvas shop and have these not be alterations, but rather the way it's made. The most obvious is the fact that it goes OVER the bottom horizontal tube, so I'm assuming a slight extension to allow for the extra height, and probably something adjusted around the hole. The good and bad news is the canvas shop did a really good job and I can't tell exactly what was altered! Haha here are some pics,

Hopefully this can help someone, including me!

That tower still does not have the "two" bars close together at the rear, which is what I think causes part of the issue .... twice as much water getting in ...... it looks like the fabric is "up" around the bottom bar now, so only ONE rear hole ..that's the only difference I see ...... :(

Yes it does, the cover now goes over the lower bar. It's the same boat as the one in the pictures above with the towel around it.

Sorry, thought you meant you could not tell what was done, but you meant it was done so well, you could not tell ..... sorry its Friday and my minds wandering to the weekend ....... calling for lots of rain tonight .... fill that lake back up !!! :D

So I followed up with my buddy EM about his boat (the one with the towel I posted) and he let me know that his dealer did some alterations to the cover and now no problems. I'm not 100% sure what the alterations were, but I got him to send me a few pics so maybe you guys can spot the differences. More importantly, maybe TB will get a hold of someone at the canvas shop and have these not be alterations, but rather the way it's made. The most obvious is the fact that it goes OVER the bottom horizontal tube, so I'm assuming a slight extension to allow for the extra height, and probably something adjusted around the hole. The good and bad news is the canvas shop did a really good job and I can't tell exactly what was altered! Haha here are some pics,

Hopefully this can help someone, including me!
I dont think my cover fits with allowing for just one bar in rear exposed.... sounds like that was the alteration that was made? Thanks

Back