Spotter/observer while doing watersports.............

BigKahuna

Reaction score
For a while now we noticed other boats/jet skis not having spotters/observers while towing watersports.........Here in Virginia you are supposed to have ONE of the

following while towing for watersports (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/wog/water-skiing-safety.asp )

1) Person/s being towed must be wearing a USCG approved life

jacket OR 2) A spotter/observer must be in the boat other than the operator that is supposed to monitor the tuber/skiier/wakeboarder/surfer.  That doesn't make

sense to me. Every boat should have BOTH for the safety of the person being towed.

We were taught growing up that if there wasn't a 3rd person to observe we didn't ski that day and we still go by that rule today............. What is the rule/law where

you live?!?!?

It is the same in Michigan ,and I see the exact thing you mention .No Spotter .

Same morons that don't know what" no wake "means  :angry:

Pa must have BOTH.

I watch them all the time here in the cove, jetski pulling a tube with 2 on it and driver on the ski. Supposed to have a spotter and lifejackets. I see it with boats as well. We have 4 counties on the lake and not enough enforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ski, tube etc has to have lifejacket. You can pull them solo provided you have a wide angle mirror with a viewing surface of 78 inches and a field of vision of 170 degrees. If you don't have the mirror the spotter must be a minimum of 12 years old

Indiana requires a spotter, whether boat or PWC, though it says nothing about how old they must be. You must have enough PFD's in the boat for all and a towed skier must also wear the PFD. PWC's have to be at least 9' long and 3 seating positions to tow a skier.

This is applicable everywhere except the Ohio River which permits an observer OR a rear view mirror of 160 degrees field of view. Curiously, this statute says observers must be at least 12 years of age.

We see a lot of violations here too. The guys who use the slalom course in front of our house routinely skip the observer as it's not always possible to get someone at 6 or 7 in the morning when they're out. With that said, they are also the most aware and very best boat handlers on the lake. Most of the big wake/surf boats, not so much, seemingly unaware of anything else around them, but they're always going rather slow.

Another thing we see a lot is 2 or 3 large tubes being towed, full of kids, plus a boat full of people. They're leaving from a dock on the lake, so the combo of all of the riders on the tubes and those in the boat often exceeds capacity limits.

What sucks is people like me who have no kids. Father in law who lives closest works evenings so I am reliant on asking the neighbor when I want to go out during the week. I get the safety purpose but a mirror exception would be nice. And no I don't have any friends.... :(

Personally, I have taken advantage of the VA Rule not requiring a spotter many times.  It does seem a bit strange when so many other states require them, but I am glad that the wife and I have been able to have our fun when its just the two of us.

What worries me more on Lake Anna is the number of of boats that pull tubes at speed through the high congestion choke points on the lake.

I totally agree Kevin and Sara..........about the boats that pull tubers through high congestion areas! Another concern are the jet skiiers who get too close to you trying to jump your wake as you pass by...........happens all the time!

In NH we can tow up to 6 on an inflatable, 1-2 need 1 spotter, 3-6 need 2, spotter must be 13 years or older, all being towed need to wear PFD's, Up to 2 skiers can be towed with 1 spotter, can tow more with a permit. Must keep a distance of 150' from other boats, shoreline, docks, floats, swimmers ect., all boats must follow the same distance rules unless traveling at headway speed, 6mph or less, no wake.

What sucks is people like me who have no kids. Father in law who lives closest works evenings so I am reliant on asking the neighbor when I want to go out during the week. I get the safety purpose but a mirror exception would be nice. And no I don't have any friends.... :(
I'll be your friend. I hate to see a grown man cry. Hehe

In Illinois you must have a spotter and PFD. They are passing a new law that you have to display an orange flag while pulling someone. We had a tragedy a couple years ago with a intoxicated boater and a kid on a tube.

New York.  Must have a spotter.   Spotter must be at least 12 years old.  Must display orange ski flag.  Anyone being towed must wear an approved life jacket, regardless of age.  And we have the same 150 foot rule.

BigKahuna I am surprised by ythe fact that you are legal by only doing ONE of the following as copied from your link:

1.All boats towing a water skier(s) or other persons on towed devices MUST have ONE of the following:
◦a. Persons being towed must be wearing a USCG approved life jacket or
◦b. There must be an observer on the boat (in addition to the operator) who is in a position to observe the progress of the skier.

IMO it should require A and B

I am too Link........According to the law that means that as long as a tuber, skier, wake boarder, etc. has an observer/spotter he is NOT required to wear a life vest.......Ridiculous!

Back