SPS or express

jmkjoe

Reaction score
I'm looking at ordering a new 2250 gbr with a 150 on it. Any thoughts on if the extra money is worth it for the sps seeing as how I'm only going to put a 150 on it. What is the real world difference between the sps and the express besides the full length tube and foils on the outer tubes. I know the sps weighs more, but is it more buoyan? .

I have no experience with Express Tubes or the 150. But I an very pleased with the SPS. I hope someone can chime in with comparative info. Most people only have 1st hand experience with one or the other.

How are the turning characteristics on the SPS? I'm looking to sacrifice some weight for tighter turning ( to give the kids a better tubing ride ). I was out on a 24' S series with a Express and a 150 and turning was nothing to brag about. Does your boat bank into the turns at all or does it stay pretty flat? Thanks.

I tried both prior to purchasing the sps. ..and very glad a made the reach. While we dont ski ortube, I am very happy with the performance and handling.

I think you are going to want the sps for tubing. I have the ESP, but there were several comments on here when I was doing my research supporting the performance of the sps.

It is my understanding that for tight turns such as in tubing the ESP is the best product.  The SPS may be a little faster but more for straight runs

My SPS has the 200, so it's going to probably be too different to compare. That's 33% more horsepower.

We don't ski or tube with our Bennington as we have another boat for those towing tasks. Banking is pretty flat relative to our ski boat. It's pretty steeply banked compared to a standard 2-toon pontoon.

Even the 200hp option dogs considerably in tight turns. Pontoon boats just lay sssoooo much whetted surface into the water when turning. There are new hulls, stepped and V, coming to the pontoon market for those that want more sport boat performance out of a pontoon boat configuration. It's all give and take though. Every boat is a compromise. 

Best thing to do in my opinion - load up the kids and the tubes on a demo express tube with 150 and see if its fun. Then you'll know for sure. Anything else is just a guess.

Add to the whole mix that the GBR is a particularly heavy boat. 

Demo ride time.

-Jeff

Last December I went through the same thing . I had originally ordered a 2375 RCW Sport Arch with an express tube . After a few restless nights I changed the order to an SPS 200 .

First is additional  weight capacity ,also a larger fuel tank and in the end it wasn't that much more because some of the options I had ordered on the Express are standard with the  SPS .

I have a 150 hp on it and it will turn like the pics..I can get it to about 35-36 since the arch weights as much as two additional people on board .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/images/homepage/gallery/900/2375_RCW_pontoon_boat_running_starboard_bow_0075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got in from seeing God's Glory--which is tonight's sunset from the middle of the Tennessee River.  My boat's a 24SSLX with Express Tubes and F150 Yamaha.

We're perfectly satisfied with our Express Tubes, and it runs virtually the same speed (40 mph) as the SPS--at much less money.  The Express Tube is straked, and it's a very buoyant hull--vs. my old pontoon.  My stern may sit slightly lower than the SPS when it's dead in the water, but that's not an issue as my boat's hanging in a boathouse all year.

To me, it all comes down to price.  You cannot go wrong with any of the Bennington hulls--as long as they're straked.  Most believe to power your boat with as much horsepower as you can afford, up to the maximum rated hp.

I like the comment section on the video - "rough water". 

Oh my.

Rough water is such a relative statement.  :)  

Spend some time on the great lakes and definitions change quick.

I took delivery of my 2015 22SSX yamaha 150 with SPS at the end of july and love the performance. I never driven an Express tube boat so I don't have much to compare it to but I can tell you this. With full lifting strakes on middle tube and foils on outer tubes it comes on plane instantly with 8-9 people on board and carves corners pretty damn good for a pontoon boat. The 115 was max HP on the 22SSx express tube so I had to upgrade to SPS for the 150.

So glad I did.

We have a 150 with SPS and really love it.  We demoed an Express boat and the thing I really noticed about them is the aft of the boat sits low.  I don't think that's super critical, BUT you're looking at a GBR which is heavy and that weight is in back.  Just another things to mull over.   ;)

I like the comment section on the video - "rough water". 

Oh my.

Rough water is such a relative statement.  :)  

Spend some time on the great lakes and definitions change quick.
To super duper rough water? I'm on a small lake so it gets "rough" when waves start bouncing back off of sea walls and shore. I noticed the starboard bow carpet got wet not too long ago indicating i dipped into a wave. Considering how high these boats ride that is quite some movement for a 24' boat to dip in. Don't be hating on us inland lake guys!!! :D

Not sure what your primary intent is with the express or SPS....if buoyancy is the real issue, i.e. frequently carrying a lot of people, the standard 2-toon's are great, but with that said, if you carry a lot of people frequently, you might save $$ on the 3rd tube and go to a 25' model.  If skiing/tubing/turnability is the main issue, then the express is "good" and the SPS "better", but the extra weight will drop your WOT speed 3-5mph (everything else equal).....buy your last pontoon first!!....SPS.

If I'm not too late, I have a 22 ft SPS and 150 Yamaha. It will run right at 40, and pulls a tube with no problem. It does turn pretty tight but does not lean into the turn like a V bottom boat will. Spend the extra $ for the SPS and you'll be glad you did.

Marc

I have the SPS with a F150 and have pulled my son and grandkids behind my 2550 GSR quite a bit this summer. It stays flat in the turns, and turns without a great deal of effort. After 5-6 hours of pulling I wouldn't call it effortless though...if I did it a lot I might consider power steering, but for occasional tubing it would be hard to justify the cost.

Thanks for all the feedback all.  Ive decided to go with 2250 GBR with a Merc 150 and the SPS setup.  I hope its enough motor, I know its a heavy boat.  

Get the SPS 200 if only for the larger fuel tank .

And the ability to up the HP if desired down the road. Thicker gauge toons as well I believe.

Back