SPS vs express tube

job511

Reaction score
Hi all,

would I see much difference in handling abilities between these 2 pkg?   Assuming same engine size say F150 22GS? thanks....

I am getting different answers from dealers. 

The performance foils on the SPS should provide better banking in turns. As to how much, I don't know. I went from a twin 25" tube setup to an ESP - what a difference there!!

Last year I had originally ordered an Express package .

After some thought,with the other options I had ordered some of which are/were standard with the SPS .

I switched my order to the SPS .Bottom line was less than $1000.00 additional .

I bought an RL boat in 2012 with two 25" toons, no strakes.  I wanted to upgrade to three toons, mainly for buoyancy.  Due to length requirements at the association where I dock [27' max total length] I have recently ordered and received the Express Toon package.  If I could have I would have ordered the third toon as an SPS with the built in transom.  I am told that it will ride bow high compared to the third toon but I have a feeling that I will be extremely pleased with the upgrade to the Express toon as others who have done it before me have been very pleased.  That being said if I were ordering on a new boat I would order the SPS.

Either way you go I would strongly suggest getting the full underdeck wave shield as it will make a big difference in the smoothness of your ride

Last edited by a moderator:
The express tube comes with strakes on it.  I will start with just that and see how it goes.  Remember I am not a speed guy, I usually mosey along 8 - 12pmph

Thanks for the opinions.  Looks like SPS is it.  Skipped the ESP as this is another 3k option (plus power assist steering) plus may not be worthy if only equipped with f150 engine.

Good point on pricing express tube vs. SPS.  By the time you add shield and hydraulic steering etc its about the same price.

Speaking of engine size......would I see much difference between 150 vs 175 ?   I read some where 150 vs 200 is only 3-4 mph difference.  Is this info correct?

thanks!

Job511, it depends on which model you are looking at. I have looked into it concerning the R series and although it is true that at WOT the 150 reports an average of 38 while those with the 200 report an average of 41. However they are other factors to consider. If you have a full boat the 200 will perform much better without struggling, at some cruising speeds the 200 may be every bit as economical as the 150.

One of the other things to consider is if at any time you want to sell your boat. My friend was looking for a used pontoon but the only ones he could find had 60 - 90HP engines and therefore he would not consider. The 150's of today may not be so desirable down the road as HP just seems to keep going up

Boat in question is 2275GS (see 1st post).  You're saying larger engine don't work as hard if you have full load as compare to smaller engine.  At times I almost feel I am buying options on this boat just because who may come along! lol 

This is the other thing....I am seeing varies report on F150 on 22 feet bennington boat sometimes on the same model.  Why is that?  Is there such a variation within the same model engine?  I read somewhere could be +/- 10-15 hp.  ie 150 could be 135 or up to 165.  Is this correct?

Your point is valid, 5 years from now, F150 may seem overly small engine on the market.  As my first boat, let me drive my volkswagon before an audi... :)

This boat research is giving me a headache before I even have a boat!  I attribute this to the downfall of internet / google......

Job511

You are correct in output of engines.  The engine manufactures / boating industry allow for a +/- 10% when it come to prop rating motors. All motors after 1986 / 87, I believe moved to rating motors at propshaft vs flywheel.  This is where some insurance / coast guard rules / laws could be tricky if you ever repower a older boat and the coast guard plate on the boat says max hp is 150.  You maybe forced to put a smaller motor on to avoid any tricky lawyers / lawsuits if anything bad every happened..  But since we're talking newer boats, its all rated at propshaft.

This 10% rule is where you find that most of the HO motors of the same horsepower of standard engines get "tweaked".  For example.  Merc 150hp optimax you could be getting +/-15hp from that motor.  Ie 135 or 165.  Typically is at 150hp or slightly less.  Then you bump up to a Merc Optimax Pro XS 150hp.  Those will be tuned and pushing the limits of the 165hp range.  Along with more torque, sometimes bigger gears which allow to turn a larger prop, carbon fiber reeds vs the standard stainless steel reeds, etc.  Fuel and spark maps are made for hole shot and top end speed.  Its typically faster on the top end by a couple mph then a standard non Pro XS motor of same HP.

Same holds true to the Evinrude line of E-tecs.  150, 150HO all the way up to the 300hp and 300 HO motors  The funny thing is, I think I paid $500 more for the Pro XS then the standard 150 Optimax.  Well worth it in my mind just from a resale point of view

Hope this helps

Todd

thanks Todd for the info. 

I might just go with f150 for now.  Narrowing down to SSX model at the moment with SPS, max spec in 175hp.  Thus probably not too worried about extra 25. 

200 or more would be nice, but I really don't think I need it on my lake and surrounding.  Give me an excuse to upgrade the boat in the future right? lol

I'm very satisfied with my 24SSLX with the F150 Yamaha.  It's running 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's.  As far as I can tell, my Express Tube will run exactly the same as the F150 on the SPS full length hull. 

My old 2 toon boat with 115 hp and no lifting strakes would hit a speed wall @ 30 mph--and only big hp would make it faster.  My tritoon with 150 hp is the same at 40 mph.  That wall is why you can throw another 100 hp at the boat--and only see a few mph more.

After all, boats are always a compromise of sorts.

good to know bamaman, I think I'll stick with SPS and f150......was going to save a few with express tube, but with 22SSX max limit is 115.  hence SPS. 

In any case, seen lots of testaments with 150/ express tube or SPS, thus should be good combo.

Seen pics of twin f300 on few pontoon boats, they must be in a hurry....lol

My wife and I test rode a an S22, SPS, F150 yesterday with Atlanta Marine at Lake Lanier. It was a little too windy/choppy to really enjoy the ride and pay as close attention to the the handling as I would have liked. I did note, though, how solid the boat fealt through the rough chop. We were also able to hit 39 MPH (GPS) into a head wind very quickly...All-in-all, very impressed. Also impressed with the crew at Atlanta Marine...seem to be a great group of folks. We're looking forward to taking delivery of our new 22SSX, SPS, F150 In early March!!!!

Thanks for the feedback on SSX. Thats exactly the spec I am thinking of. No luxury of test driving here in jan Canada. Lakes are frozen solid. Basing on google ant forum to form my opinion so far. If waiting tii may totest driving, will loose this summer. Good to hear the performance on this exact same model

Back