Stability of the 18' SLX

BobZ

Reaction score
I may be in the wrong forum. I lost my previous Bennington (2008 - 2275RL R Series ) in 01/2013 to a fire at my marina. I'm looking to replace this year. I'm looking for something smaller. Either the 18 SLX or the 20 SLX. Would I get excessive pitch/roll with the either. I boat on a lake (Norris Lake outside of Knoxville TN). Normal conditions of calm to light chop don't concern me. I'm more interested in heavier wave conditions caused by other passing boats.  The 22' I had performed flawlessly. Thanks.

It's probably a fair amount lighter so you will probably notice more. I'd go at least 20' though, or you will probably notice lack of space more than anything. If I ever lose my 2275, I don't think I could ever drop space. I'd drop the luxury first, but that's just me.......

We were going with 24SLX originally, but got a leftover RLi instead. Still wished I had the extra foot of the 24.

I thought the 24SSL and the 2275 were the same length (within a few inches)?

The placard on our boat says the 24SSL is a "22-footer".  I never understood that.  I think the LOA is 24 feet, plus our minus 3 inches or so.

On my  22 SLX  the LOA was 21'10" .On the 2375 RCW the LOA is 25'6" .

Are you talking 2 or 3 tubes, as that would also make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge they base it off the "toon" length, not the OAL. The deck overhang and transom can make it longer.

The placard on our boat says the 24SSL is a "22-footer".  I never understood that.  I think the LOA is 24 feet, plus our minus 3 inches or so.

Yeah they are close, but we were going to do the extended deck on the 24 to get max size of deck, but we just could not pass up the deal we got on the RLi. I still miss not being able have the extended rear deck, but the rest of the boat is so nice, I can live without it. IF we ever get another, two things it MUST have is extended deck and elevated helm. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

my 24SLi is titled as a 22' boat.

BOBZ....We have a 20'SLX w/90 merc. which we only boat in manatee river or the gulf and we encounter some descent waves now and then and we had a huge searay boat come close around the bend at a high rate and the wave was about even with the seats,needless to say it sure cleaned the deck off.We only have 2-25"toons and it is what it is we don't worry about the benny handling it.She rocks but I have no experience with tri-toons and can't compare the magnitude of the difference.We love our benny with the extended rear deck and we use a 4 blade prop 3.85x13p aluminum prop and said to get 27mph on flat at 6100rpm,we have no gps that's according to dealer but next time out I am going to try my car portable garmin?

Bob,

Unless you are on a body of water that has minimal wakes, or a speed/HP restriction, i would go with the 20'

The shorter the boat, the more likely it will "nose dive" if you hit a good sized wake head on, i had that happen once, and once the nose goes under, it shoots back pretty hard. Scared the crap out of us!

A friend of mine (with a 24' tri toon) goes to Lake of the Ozarks several times a year, and always has a story of seeing one of the short ones launching back, throwing coolers, towels, cell phones and sometimes people overboard.

And as others have said, you will like the extra playpen area on a longer boat.

Just my 2cents....

I have the 20slx and it handles like a dream. I have taken it out past the jetties in to Gulf of Mexico no problems (other than me getting sick) we anchored and fished that was with three people and most of time we were all on back we go tubing all the time no problems at all the difference from an 18 to a 20 doesn't seem like much but 2 ft is a lot

We have a 2013 20SL on Norris lake. We spend most of our time in the Loyston Sea area of Norris Lake and only once have I ever encountered a wave that got the floor wet. It was a 30' searay going by at what I'd guess to be 15mph. At the time I have 5 adults on the boat plus gear and was going about 14mph getting ready to turn into Waterside Marina. I had 3 adults sitting towards the front which may have contributed but I turned in a bit late to the waves and took them at an angle. I guess we got about 2 or 3 gallons of water on the carpet at most. Mine has 25" tubes and has been great thus far. IMO, for the small price difference I'd opt for the 20'. I've made a few trips from Loyston to Hwy33 up at Bubba Bru's and it has always been a great ride.

I have the 18 SFX and have been to the Gulf 3 or 4 times.  Have not yet encountered any really rough conditions.  We had a 22' Deck boat and wanted something smaller.  So far, we love it.

Back