Stainless Steel Props

Port

Reaction score
i just bought a 2017 22 foot Bennington with Yamaha 115 hp outboard. Will be running in rivers in Pittsburgh. Aluminum gets beat up is Stainless steel good option and what pitch if so

Bad idea. SS props are made for higher HP motors than yours. They don't flex under power like aluminum. The downside is they are less forgiving if an underwater obstacle is encountered (such as might be found in rivers where you plan to boat). Upon impact, a SS prop may transmit force to other driveline parts causing expensive repairs.

Aluminum props are easier and cheaper to repair if damaged. Trust me, buy 2 aluminum props for the price of one SS prop and ultimately, you will be glad you did.

Stainless on a 115 is all downside. Zero upside.

Expensive. Heavy. No performance increase with just a 115. Damage to lower unit possible. Did I miss anything?

Some say if you hit stuff, the aluminum will dent/ding where stainless will not. I say if you are in a lake that's conducive to hitting stuff, you will eventually hit something solid that could take out your lower unit.

That said, if you go stainless, get a breakaway hub.

Back