Stainless steel rub rail scratches (removal)

Hartbenny

Reaction score
Me again! Stainless steel rub rail on 2275 we're looking at has heavy rash (scratches) at starboard aft. Looks like someone tied up to a dock with metal fasteners exposed. It also scratched the aluminum rim piece.

I would be ok with condition if it can be wheeled out and polished.

Stainless rub rail also has discoloration in a couple other areas. Looks "brownish". Can this be polished or cleaned up?

Thanx

Oh, by the way, we do own a Bennington. It's a 2000 with a Merc 90 two stroke. My hearing is going so I need a 4 stroke. Re-powering doesn't make sense to me. Motor would be close to value of boat.

Think you answered your own question; start on the build a boat page :)

Thanks for clarification. I'm trying get pictures from my wife's phone to upload. Unfortunately we did not take a picture of the dented elliptical tube. Pics of scratches and other conditions to come.

Thanx

Thanks for clarification. I'm trying get pictures from my wife's phone to upload. Unfortunately we did not take a picture of the dented elliptical tube. Pics of scratches and other conditions to come.

Thanx
Put your pics in the gallery and then you don't have to worry about size. If you click on anyones, you can see their gallery.

If it were me. I'd go to a dealer and get a quote for new. That looks nasty!

Can't they just screw a new stainless rub rail on, and replace the scratched pieces(that the run rail connects to) in the back? Looks like it is right near a seam so the fencing won't have to come off.

I always thought the rubrail was one piece, no gap.

I would imagine there is a corner around the rear motor pod where it can be stopped. I would rather have a hairline seam than that.

I meant, there is a gap but not on the side. Ours end in the sternby the motor.

We purchased our 2013 24ssrx from Spend A Day Marina in Ohio in July. The boat was in great shape except for the rail corners ( banged up in a storm). The Marina replaced all four corner rails at no charge and they look great! Hope I can keep them that way. So there is hope that you can repair/replace portions of the rails not sure of the cost but it shouldn't be that much. Good luck with your PURCHASE!

Jeff

I got some pretty nasty scratches and gouges from bumping into a cinder block wall at a launch ramp.  My autobody friend removed them an delivered the long pieces on a flat bed trailer to a metal refinisher. I could not even tell where the damage was, I couldn't believe what a great job they did.   So you may try that route.

The stainless looks nice but the sole purpose of a rub rail is to act as a bumper and absorb small impacts/rubs in my opinion. Glad I don't have it honestly.

Back