Steering effort too much?

mikeb33

Reaction score
Last year I ordered a 2019 22SSRXP w/SPS and Yamaha 150. When it came in the interior color was wrong. They let us take it on loan while they ordered a 2020 and when it comes in, they were going to swap over the motor. When drove it most of the summer and loved everything but the color.
The 2020 came in at the end of summer so over the winter they swapped the motor and we took delivery last week. On this boat, the steering effort seems a little higher. Last year I recall if I was going over say 20 mph, it started getting kind of stiff and over 30 mph I was definitely 2 hands gripping tight. On this new boat it seems like even 10-15 mph I feel a lot of resistance. I had my son drive it too and he feels it seems stiffer too.
Since I have the triple toon SPS it should have the Seastar hydraulic steering. Any ideas why the effort would be higher on this boat?

As a side note, if I wanted to upgrade to power steering, is it just a matter of adding a pump and wiring under the console? https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...ing-systems/hydraulic-steering/power-assisted

A year ago we took delivery of a 2019 QCWA. We noticed on our maiden voyage that the steering was much more difficult than on our first boat a GCW. I call the dealer, he walked me through a few things to diagnosis the problem. Turns out the dealer had not set up the steering correctly. They came out to our marina, a 90 minutes drive, and fixed it in about 20 minutes. All is well now.

I would think it has more to do with it being a SPS with a 150HP motor, and no power assist. I frankly wouldn’t get anything above 150 hp without the power assist. Just going to be too much resistance cutting into the enjoyment of driving the boat at any sort of higher speeds. Wouldn’t Hurt per the Steve’s advice to maybe have the system double checked, but I am also guessing Steve had power assist with his situation, whereas the OP does not.

What did they do to fix it?

SJHORNER9475 commented that they came out tot he boat and fixed his, was wondering what they did. I don't even know if my boat has power assist? From what I've been told the unit is part of the steering wheel assembly and has a fill port somewhere on the helm? I haven't noticed one.

I'm second owner of this boat and the dealer where the boat was purchased new said their records don't indicate that my boat has it but said that most equipped like mine would have had it included in some of the packages that the boat has??? Its in storage right now but Ill try to go by and look closer. Dealer said he thinks from what I described that the helm unit has failed?? And somewhere I read about a purple wire but haven't found any specifics on that either?? I might just take it in after this weekend.

Back