Yamaha 1st service and warranty?

mikeb33

Reaction score
Last year the 2019 SSRXP w/yamaha 150 we ordered came in but with a few things wrong. After some discussion, they offered to re order a 2020 and let us use the 2019 until then. The said they would transfer the Yamaha 150 to the 2020 when it arrived. We used the 2019 for the end of summer and put about 10-12 hours on it, then they picked it up for winter storage. In the meantime, the 2020 arrived and at some point they swapped the motor over. A few weeks ago I asked about getting the 2020 in the water and asked if they could do my first oil change. When I got the boat, they said the oil was still clean and no need yet.

Now when I drove the 2020 the steering effort seems higher at lower speeds. Both had hydraulic(but not power) steering. I went to dealer yesterday and asked about the steering, maybe something to adjust? He said I must be due for my required by warranty 20 hour service soon. Drive it for a few weekends then bring it in for the 20 hour and they will look at the steering issue. He said it will run $4-500. I said "$4-500 for an oil change"? He said it is a 20 hour service required by Yamaha for my warranty and includes a 60 point inspection and replacement of any filters, plugs or anything else needed.

Should I need ANYTHING but an oil change at 20 hours?

Alicedream

Reaction score
My 20 hour services were nothing but oil change They looked over everything but the cost was a little over a $100.

Ray

ugleeual

Reaction score
Read this first... I personally do all the annual maintenance and winterization myself... cost a little money to get all the tools/gear but really easy after your first time. Keep all your receipts and it won’t impact your motor warranty.

Attachments

• Maintenance_Matters_Brochure_-_Final_Full_Run_Production.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 45

mikeb33

Reaction score
I am quite capable and did service on my last boat, but I haven't bought a trailer(yet). I've been trying to weigh the purchase cost $3-4K versus savings of doing seasonal in/out, storage and maintenance.

lakeliving

Reaction score
I always change my own fluids and filters. You can buy kits online where it comes in one box or go to your local marina/service center. They will have everything you need.

I can do mine for 5 years for $500.

mikeb33

Reaction score
UPDATE!
I had the boat in for it's 20 hour service in August when it was 3 month old. I had a little issue with the drivers adjustable seat not locking and the steering seemed tight so I asked about that. On a Sunday I drove the boat to the dock at the marina and left it for them. I called on Wednesday to see if it was done and they said not yet. I called Friday at 3 and they said they would get back to me. At 6 I was annoyed and I called and got voicemail. Around 7 my neighbor said I just saw it down at your dock (across the street from my house, but I can't see it from there). So they were nice enough to deliver it, but not tell me.

I never heard anything or received an invoice. Until today. I just opened an invoice in the mail for $937 For the seat, steering and 20 hour service. WTF? Also on the invoice is $1,000 for indoor storage. They don't even have my boat. I had another company take it for the winter storage.

Carlson80

Reaction score
Find another dealer if possible. You shouldn’t have to pay for anything but the oil change, all of the rest should be warranty work. Call them hopefully it was just a billing mistake. If not they are crooks.

Potomacbassin’

Reaction score
Dealer performed 20 hr earlier this year, $340.

I also opted out of the trailer due to storage constraints living in the ‘burbs. Could have used one a few times this year for maintenance (motor and hull) but really what hurt was not being able to take it around to other bodies of water. Plan on ‘21 is Airbnb some waterfront cottages and run around the Chesapeake Bay, so hopefully the dealer will be willing to rent one. If not I’ll have to bite the bullet.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Agree with Carlson..... warranty work. Must be a billing oversight. Just call them and remind them. Our Mercury 20 hr. service had no charge last summer. Our dealer even offered to come to our dock to do it........

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Dealer performed 20 hr earlier this year, $340.

I also opted out of the trailer due to storage constraints living in the ‘burbs. Could have used one a few times this year for maintenance (motor and hull) but really what hurt was not being able to take it around to other bodies of water. Plan on ‘21 is Airbnb some waterfront cottages and run around the Chesapeake Bay, so hopefully the dealer will be willing to rent one. If not I’ll have to bite the bullet.
Bite the bullet and buy a trailer. You won't have to rely on anybody if you need to take your boat out for any reason. Especially if you want to take your boat to the bay next year. Plus you've got Lake Anna, Lake Gaston and Smith mountain lake. All fine lakes within the state.....

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
My dealer made the mistake on billing me for warranty work once. It was fixed it with a simple phone call. Did you try that?

Potomacbassin’

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and buy a trailer. You won't have to rely on anybody if you need to take your boat out for any reason. Especially if you want to take your boat to the bay next year. Plus you've got Lake Anna, Lake Gaston and Smith mountain lake. All fine lakes within the state.....
SML for sure, love that place. Gaston/Kerr and Anna are ok. I really want to explore the VA side of the Chesapeake such as Mobjack Bay - redfish, trout, flounder, striper... lots of clean water and easy fishing for the kiddos. Bucket list is doing the Great Loop in the old tin barge so some big saltwater experience is a plus as well.