Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Steering Power Hydraulic Assist - or not?

Discussion in 'Owners Chat: Options and Upgrades' started by tfrojd, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Mike31406

Mike31406 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly I paid around $1850 to have it added on before I had it commissioned.

Vikingstaff likes this.
  2. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

As always, different strokes for different folks. While you can obviously get along without it, like many have already stated it is recommended by Bennington starting at 150HP and makes maneuvering the boat rather effortless. And should you pull a Derek, I think it will make your boat even more saleable.

3. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Well-Known Member

I have the Power Assist option on our 22SSX w 150 Yamaha. I find it difficult when docking as the system seems to hinder rapid steering wheel turns and it seems to “whine” a lot. However I don’t have any experience without it. So does my experience sound about right?

4. Alicedream

Alicedream Well-Known Member

I think it makes docking much easier because of the responsiveness of the steering to move the motor. I don’t have much of a whine at all. I can hardly hear it.

5. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

Mine whines too when turning fast.

6. Chris A

Chris A Well-Known Member

It is probably the most valued option on my new boat. I am SOOOO glad I ordered it. Mine is very quiet.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    ugleeual and Vikingstaff like this.
  7. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I'm one that did not opt to fork over $2500-$3000 for the power assist when we ordered our new Bennington with a 150hp. At high speed it does take two hands to turn it quickly but I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult. I don't expect any problem with water sports and docking was no problem - at least no problem that power steering would fix :).

That said, I wouldn't go above 150hp without it.

Vikingstaff likes this.
  8. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

Mine 150 doesn’t have it, but I do have the suicide ball on the wheel that makes turning so much easier than it was without it. When I dock, I stand up, and tilt steering wheel up to flat, and it will almost turn itself due to being easy. But as stated, to each his own.

Vikingstaff and Chris Z like this.