Steering Wheel Cleaner

Noah Genda

Reaction score
What I have gleaned is Bennington owners are as dedicated as BMW motorcyclists - fiercely loyal and always wanting to add gadgets. We like to keep things in tiptop shape as well. So here's the ridiculous side of me: You know the metal spokes of steering wheel? Mine look like an alloy and kind of tarnished. Any suggestion on how to clean it? Thanks in advance.

Mine are that way too. Good question...

If I am correct, they are polished aluminum, so you need alum. polish ....... :)

My wheel looks like polished aluminum with a clear. they might have started adding a clear in the newer years to avoid oxidizing. If you think you wheel is non coated polished Aluminum then try a Aluminum polish. Like mothers polish.

Any kind of aluminum wheel cleaner like Mothers or something like Flitz will work well, but again only if it has not been clear coated.

This is my favorite .... http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-1035605-Nevr-Dull-Wadding/dp/B000CNBI1A

Just remember, as you polish, it turns black, that's the "old" aluminum polishing off, so use painters tape to protect the wheel and anything you don't want the residue getting onto. A little bit goes a looooong way. I've had my can for probably 5-6 years.

Wear latex gloves too, or your fingers will be black from the residue, and it's a pain to clean it out of the ridges in your fingers.

Another trick to clean your hands easier, use hand lotion BEFORE you do any dirty work. Dirt tends to wash off easier.

I love that stuff. I have 2 cans in the garage and as Semper said, wear gloves. It's almost like a big cottonball that you just pull apart and use.

Back