Steering

Have  a question for you guys that have the power assist, I am looking to add the power assist this off season and was wondering when  does the pump run. Is it on all the time or do you have to turn on a switch or activate when you turn the wheel. And is a second battery required or recomended.

I added it to our boat and there's pics in my gallery. There are a pair af heavy wires from the battery and a small purple wire that's connected to the ignition or in my case, to a spare switch on the dash. The pump only runs when the wheel is turned. I love it and it's not hard to install.

Sounds good,  I am sure I have seen the pics before but I will look again.

Thanks Carl

So after not using the boat for a couple weeks lower the lift, go to straighten the motor and the wheel just spins as the motor doesn't. Finally there is some resistance and the motor steers. I look under the helm and it has been leaking. The carpet is all dis colored and wavy. Called the dealer and should hear back tomorrow. Aaaahhhhh. So there is an upside to cable steering. No fluid leaks. Good thing the boat gets pulled in a week. I'll get pictures tomorrow.

Sorry to hear Lakeliving!  Can you tell by looking at what caused the leak, broken line or something?

I hate that feeling.

Oh no!  Hopefully it's a quick fix and you can get some more enjoyment out of it before the season ends.

So after not using the boat for a couple weeks lower the lift, go to straighten the motor and the wheel just spins as the motor doesn't. Finally there is some resistance and the motor steers. I look under the helm and it has been leaking. The carpet is all dis colored and wavy. Called the dealer and should hear back tomorrow. Aaaahhhhh. So there is an upside to cable steering. No fluid leaks. Good thing the boat gets pulled in a week. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
Oh sorry to hear, not good  :(

steeringfluidleak_zps02c1d0a3.jpg

I will be interested to learn if warranty covers the carpet too? I would assume it will? But I will watch for updates to know for sure. Sorry to hear.

Sorry to hear that Andy, I am sure everything will work out..

I'll keep everyone posted. I have been playing phone tag with the dealer so we'll see how it goes when we finally connect.

Here is the source of the leak. Checked and the fitting is tight. I guess Bennington wants to clean the carpet first. Curious to see how that will bring the ripple down in the carpet....

steeringleak_zps9bd1dd28.jpg

Whew, glad none leaked on your balls!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

The wife said she didn't see any on them.....

Lakeliving, that's exactly where my leak was, but on the other line.  Still waiting for it to be fixed.

I wonder if it is an install issue or part defect. Sucks either way.

I would think install . My dealer installed mine  . When it arrived at the dealer all the components were in the transom 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back