strakes

norsky

Reaction score
The dealer told me adding strakes to the outer tubes would let the boat get on plane faster and plane at slower speeds but would not do much for the top speed. Is this true?

It depends. The more of your tubes you can get out of the water, the faster you can go, all things being equal. If your power to weight ratio is such that the strakes make a difference in that regard, then it certainly can. There's just no way to know in advance, unless you find two people with the same set-up aside from the strakes.

They can also provide resistance to turning, which is why it's becoming popular for people ordering a new boat to put them on the inboard side of the outer logs.

If I were ordering a boat today I would get full strakes on the center log, inside strakes on the outer logs and a wave shield to keep the waves from hitting the cross-members.

The dealer told me adding strakes to the outer tubes would let the boat get on plane faster and plane at slower speeds but would not do much for the top speed. Is this true?
This seems to be a "who you ask kinda thing" on benningtons web site it says adding strakes will only give 1-2 mph i got my 22slx with the strakes on the center tube and strakes on the inside of the outter tubes only. my dealer and the bennington rep both agreed that strakes on the outside of the outter tubes with hinder turning ability and strakes on the inside of the outter tubes will increase turning but can also make more turbulance at the back of the boat which can result in a wet ride with some water splashing up onto the back of the boat.ican tell you mine turns very well for a pontoon boat you might want to talk to kdano his has strakes all the way around hope this helps

I agree with Eric, but would add 2 things:

The answer also depends on the tube package. Each increasing level of tube package (2 tubes, 3 tube Express, 3 tube Standard, 3 tube ESP) changes the buoyancy of the center of the boat, which has a big impact on whether the boat will lean into a turn or not, at least in my mind. If you have an Express (like me) and a small motor (like me - 115 HP), strakes on the outside probably aren't going to be noticeable in a turn (per TB) because the boat ain't gonna lean into a turn anyway. They will help with speed though (this also per TB, at least for my setup). Plus, our lake is a ~15 mile river ending in a reservoir, and I don't do a lot of turning. I mostly run straight. If we were on a smaller round lake, I would not have bought the setup I did.

The answer also depends on HP. If you have a 115 HP or lower, you probably aren't going to notice the difference in handling that strakes on the outside of the outer tubes make (again, not enough HP to make the boat lean into a turn in the first place).

Its a very good question, but with multiple variables, the answer isn't simple.

Back