Stuff happens

Ecoman

Reaction score
I went to pick up my Bennie this weekend. Pick it up went to the lake on Sunday "Fathers Day" we had a great time but I had to return the boat on Monday. The traierl was not heavy duty enought for the boat it was a 5000lbs and this boat weight is over 5200. The tires were to small size 13" and I need 15" for weight load 13's only hold 4400lbs. Next trailer started bending on cross members. I had some electrical problems things not turning on. The helm door would not stay shut. The rear loung chase had a cut in it and no Velcro . The motor would surge when in low gear so I had a hard time docking the boat. Bennington billed me for Shark Hide and it wasn't put on the toons. The dealer ordered the wrong color yeti cooler.

After all this my friends are surprised that I'm not mad. Sometime stuff happens and people need a second chance to make it right. My Dealer is still Best In Class he will take care of me and life goes on. The manufacture Bennington did drop the ball but again there still Best in Class also and it will be ok I would hate to keep up with all the boats they build and not make any mistakes. If I should make a mistake please give me grace.

Thank You

You have a great attitude! I'm sure the dealer and Bennington will get it all worked out for you and you'll be enjoying that beautiful boat. I found that the DTS on mine really takes some getting used to around the dock. After about 10 outings I finally got the right touch when I put it back on my lift. Hopefully yours is something simple.

Wow, you are super calm, great attitude! If you need a better trailer, I liked my last EZ Loader, and I'm sure I'll like my new one

Awesome attitude!!!! "Let he who has not made a mistake cast the first stone"

I agree with Tom that the DTS REALLY takes some getting used to. First time over to the local marina/bar I planted the front of my Benny right up against the dock! Fortunately one of my best buddies owns the marina, (but unfortunately does not sell Bennington's) and he thought it was rather humorous. I was rather embarrassed because the outside bar was packed and it was the first time we had the new Benny there. I had been warned by friends that the DTS takes time to get used to, but did I listen?

I really do like it now though...

Your attitude with all of that is sure an inspiration! Keep us updated in how it all turns out.

I'm calling B.S.!!!! You really are mad, you just typed the opposite of what you were thinking.

Just kidding; I work in Purchasing and I TOTALLY agree with you, things happen, people learn from it, fthey will fix it, they will put actions in place to make sure it does not happen again. Time and time again people realize their mistakes, and the actions to correct them ( or compensate for the error) are much greater and more rewarding, if you treat them with respect. As Grandpappy always said "You get more with honey than yo do with vinegar."

Sorry to hear about your problems and I'm sure they will be fixed accordingly, BUT, one thing I will input, your DEALER billed you for the Sharkhide.

Yes, Bennington may have missed it, but then again, it's possible your DEALER missed it when they placed the order.

Sometimes I think it's easier to blame the "guy/gal on the other end" than to take credit for the error.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just putting my perspective on the situation, as I deal with this type of issue almost everyday.

I'm also really surprised that your dealer put you on an underrated trailer right off the bat ????

My dealer talked to me about a trailer that "just" met the specs, but recommended for local (1 mile or so) use only.

After that, he told me I really need to step it up as he would not feel comfortable selling me one with the knowledge I would be hauling longer distance.

After all what's a couple hundered more dollars for a 30K boat ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Great way to look at and deal with the problems you encountered. It is easy to get frustrated and fly off the handle but you do get more and better results with a managed professional approach at problem solving. I am sure your dealer and Bennington will get you "right". As far as the way these boats handle at low speeds, it certainly does take some getting used to as you are trying to guide a large boat that seeme to really catch and drift with even the slightest of wind and the responsiveness of the boat is very different than a v-bottom at low speed. Practice will make it better.

Jack

Ecoman.............I agree w/the calm approach. I did it for years when I was a cop and was very successful. It's called "verbal judo". Talk to people or handle a situation the way YOU would want it to be handled................then if they would cross the line or in your case not fixing your new boat to your satisfaction in a timely manner.............Go to the next level/step. You are very admirable and patient......I never bought a new boat. Don't they have a checklist and does somebody at the factory/dealer go through the boat before releasing it to the owner????????????

Don't you have the 8.2L engine?

What does DTS stand for?
Digital Throttle and Shift (Mercury). There are no mechanical cables from the helm to the engine. It's entirely an electronic signal going back to the engine. Also known as "drive by wire" in cars, etc.

That would make me nervous. I'm old school when it comes to certain things. That has to be a pricey repair when that goes...Sounds like a doozey around the dock as well.

That would make me nervous. I'm old school when it comes to certain things. That has to be a pricey repair when that goes...Sounds like a doozey around the dock as well.
I love mine. What's different is (1) you can't tell the engine is even running at idle (2) the shifting is so smooth and quiet it's sometimes hard to tell that it's done it. WIth quick fwd/neutral/rev changes you just don't get a lot of confirmation that it's happened.

I guess you'll have to take me for a ride and convert me!!

DTS is a big reason I didn't buy the Mercury 150 with our boat. Instead, we got the 115. The DTS added a couple thousand $ to the price (above the extra $ for the extra HP).

Just a few months later, Mercury comes out with their new 150... Bad timing.

Hopefully Ecoman's issue is not DTS at all, just a bit of tuning on that big motor, and all will be well.

Once you get into the 6 cylinder Mercs with DTS, power steering is part of the deal, so it's almost a wash cost wise. My price for the Yamaha and Verado was within a few dollars out the door and I do love the DTS for its smoothness.

Back