Stuff happens

You know, that's right. I didn't know until much later that the Verados had power steering built into the motor. So, yeah, that would be a wash. I didn't know it at the time, and the decision has now long since been made.

OK I'll be the fly in the ointment. My new 2550 RCB was delivered 6 weeks ago. It was missing the privacy chaise and rough water package. They were on the build sheet because Bennington was nice enough to send that to me. Also my countertops were loose, I reglued them. The counter lighting did'nt work. The polarity was wired reverse, I repaired. The dashboard teak trim plate fell off. They sent me a new one. There was a dent in the rear panel and a scratch in the counter which probably happened during shipping. My dealer attributes the problems to the popularity of the Benningtons and the fact they are building so many more now. My point is if you've gotten this popular by being the best then you should strive to stay the best. Yes they are great to work with but when you spend the money on a top of the line boat you should not have to deal with this many issues. Just my opinion.

ledft, sure sorry to hear you had that many issues with you new Benni, but there are going to be a few, like yours, that somehow slip through.

Seems to me the dealer should have caught the big stuff when doing the pre-delivery, but this time of year everyone is in a pretty big hurry to get out on the water and some things may get overlooked.

The main thing is that Bennington will take care of you, and none of this should keep you from getting out and enjoying your new boat.

I don't sense much anger from you, and that's a good thing, no sense in getting all worked up over fixable stuff!

I'm sure you will get it all resolved, and have many years of good times on your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did or are you doing to remedy the rough water package that wasn't on your boat? That's brackets and welding etc? Did you get a cost recovery or is the dealer going to install in he off season? That is something major that would have driven me nuts. The cosmetic stuff as you have fixed yourself should have been caught by the dealer.

Todd

You think DTS is expensive, add a couple of SmartCraft gauges and installation on a Verado and you could be spending $5K on top of the motor to get into the water. And when that supercharger bites the dust in 5 years, it's $5K to get another.

That's why I really like the Merc. 150 FourStroke. You can make it as simple or as high tech as you like. It's a motor that was really needed many years ago. I guess they were spending all their R&D monies on finally getting the Verado bugs worked out.

I also like my new F150 Yamaha, as its bugs are all worked out.

Ok they have ordered a new trailer and added a spare tire , new cushion , new yeti cooler , ordered shark hide , ordered a new double cup prop , fixed the helm door , fixed the wiring , looking for where the water is coming in that is making the engine run weird "surging" they fixed the hose that came off during lake test. We are looking forward getting it all done.

I got a different (SPARE) stainless prop and my 20 hour service free. The dealer did point out alot of the problems, i found the rest. We wont be getting the rough water package as the toons have sharkhide on them. I was alot more upset until we took the boat out, it changes your attitude when you're having fun.

Your attitude changes EVERY time you take it out!

Thank you for your posts, particularly Eccoman and Ledft, who were straightforward (yet considerate) in their criticisms. This entire thread has been forwarded to our management team. We will pursue every avenue to address these items on the production line.

Sincerely, TB

Thank you for sticking with us.

I'm glad to hear this is working out and you're approaching it the way you have.

I have my own little story, a good one as well. I've just passed 20 hours on my 2275RCW and I've been really fortunate to only have one VERY minor issue, not with the boat, but with the throttle indicator on the engine. When I told my dealer (Dry Dock Marine) about it back in April he immediately offered to send a tech over that same day (10 miles away). I said "no, it's really minor and affects nothing. Let's wait until the busy spring season is over for you and we find any other issues so we can just do them all at once."

Fast forward to the end of June. I sort of forgot about it and to my surprise yesterday morning their Verado expert was standing on my dock working on my boat, no reminders from me necessary. He and his laptop computer fussed with it for a little while and couldn't figure out the problem. I was gone for the rest of the afternoon, but when I took the boat out that night the issue was totally fixed! I stopped by today and they said he came back to the showroom, pulled a module from a new Merc on the showroom floor, and made a second trip over to fix my engine. They also offered me another prop to try, even though that pitch is special order for him, and it should be here next week. That is truly great service, and goes above and beyond what I expected. Luckily the Bennington itself was perfect as delivered, despite me making it extra difficult during the ordering process. Start to finish, they've really done a great job.

That's a great story Tom, and great service!! As for you making it difficult for Bennington during the ordering process, I think they may be pretty happy when mine is finally out the door!! My problem is I keep reanalyzing everything and questioning everything (I know, hard to imagine coming from me!! haha) and I read all these things on here and try to get it all done right at the start! I must say, so far they have been GREAT!!!! Which is why I bought it in the first place!! I do have a call in to my dealer to find out about the Yamaha warranty though. I see on their website that they have 2 years extended warranty on motors purchased before June 30th, well my boat is supposed to be built first week of July. That would suck if I missed out on a $2000 offer by a week or whatever. I'm hoping that Bennington can give my dealer the motor serial # and figure it out. I guess we'll wait and see!

Back