Switches Heat Up

Lake Anna Boater

Reaction score
I have a 2013 slx24 and Saturday night was out trolling for 30 minutes.  I turned on the three right switches which is the lights, aux for music and well pump on auto.  After I docked, when I touched the switches, they were one degree from melting.  So damn hot I almost burnt myself. On top of it, the fuel gauge next to the switches always shows full.  Reading other topics I am wondering if there is a wiring problem?  Any suggestions?

We run at night pretty often and I pretty much light up the dash with all the switches on. Sounds like you have something drawing some serious current to cause the switches to get that hot. I'd try to run with just the lights on and the rest off to see if you can duplicate the issue.

As was said, one or more of those switches have a lot of current running through them. Many make the mistake of running the power feed directly through the switch, instead of running the power lead through a normally open contact on a relay, that is powered on by a "trigger voltage" that is switched on or off by the switch on your panel. An example may be an amp for your radio, or something with a high resistance that draws a lot of amperes. 

I have a 2013 slx24 and Saturday night was out trolling for 30 minutes.  I turned on the three right switches which is the lights, aux for music and well pump on auto.  After I docked, when I touched the switches, they were one degree from melting.  So damn hot I almost burnt myself. On top of it, the fuel gauge next to the switches always shows full.  Reading other topics I am wondering if there is a wiring problem?  Any suggestions?

Do you live on the lake?!? Boated there for years. Kept our boats at Sturgeon Creek marina.......

Back