Switching to Benny - but want your expertise!

eperu

Reaction score
Hey all!

Super excited to find this forum. Here's my story. I grew up on a lake and my parents owned (and still own a Benny). I am moving to a lake in a few months and am thinking I am going to get rid of my SeaRay and switch to a Benny.

Despite having lived on the water and being very comfortable with boats I don't know a lot about them when it comes to specs and I want to be super prepared when walking into my dealership (I'm nervous about being sold something I don't need) I consulted my family, but would love for the experts to weigh in :D  . 

I honestly don't know which one is the "right" one!!

What questions should I be asking of my dealer?

Are there things you wish you knew going in? 

What can I expect from a warranty?

Can they help me out with finding good storage?

Also some other facts about me

I live in Minnesota

Just starting a family  :D

Private Dock

And love relaxing on the boat, but also enjoy fishing and water sports

Thanks ahead of time for helping me out!!

Elle

Oh NO, You are in trouble, One of the best forums out there, One of the best group of folks, and some of the best advice on selection of a fine product.

Hmm , Where do I begin? Just spend a little time looking at all the topics and builds. You wont go wrong with a Bennington.

Best Regards and welcome to the family.

Start with the simple things first... look at the different models. G , S , R  & Q. Each one has different standard options and different cost. It is sometimes cheaper to step up a model than to pay for upgrades individually. What you can afford may aid in narrowing your choices. Look at the layout and see which one will fit you needs and desires. Visit the Bennington site to see all the choices. Good luck as there are many to choose from. Choose the size of boat that you feel comfortable with and that will fit into storage available. Pontoon or Tritoon ? Pontoon's are more the casual boat where the tritoon offers better ride and stability. The size of motor is not that hard. Once you decide on the boat, put the on the biggest motor it is rated for or what you can afford.

Get ready for alot of advise from this post as everyone is very helpful and tons of pontoon experience.

Good luck and keep us posted

You mention water sports...

You will need at least a 150 and one of the tri-toon hulls. Start with that as your minimum.

The New SPS hull is quite impressive for the money. I would add that as another minimum. The S Model is no slouch, so that can be another minimum. Then price out those minimums, and then start adding what you want on top of that.

Check out Lakeliving's videos of the SPS hull.

Our #1 priority was a fishing boat (& MAYbe pulling a tube every once in a while). There was only 2 models with the four fishing seats (2 bow/2 stern). That really helped to narrow it down for us. Since we didn't want a huuuge, long boat to navigate, pull, or dock, we bought the 22' SFX (F=fishing, X=upgraded fencing, etc). Love it. 

Yep, you've come to the right place!  Many knowledgeable folks on here.

I agree with kaydano in regards to the S series...don't feel like you're dropping to bottom of the barrel.  We got the 22 SLX because it met our needs and was right for the wallet.  I've only had the boat for a few weeks and everyone that see's our boat gives us compliments...it's no slouch still turns heads.  You also get all the great fit and finish.  I think the biggest factor in helping you choose between the different series is particular features you're looking for...for instance, looking for a raised helm?  Skip the S-Series, can't get it...spend some time in the builder tool, you'll start to see some of the variations.  Also, pick up a print brochure if you can, you can at least get a better list of the various options.

Also, as kaydano said, if you're thinking water sports, just jump right to the 150 with a tri-toon.  We got the 150 with SPS and it rides great.  

Good luck on your journey!

Welcome to the family!   +1 on all of the advice given.  We just got a 2014 SL in May and love it.  I joined the club last September and read it daily.  every question that you can think of will likely be addressed,  The advice and experiences of all the other members helped the build and selection process much easier.  We ended up with a great product.   By the way, what part of minnesota are you from?

Go to Bennington build a boat on line. There you can decide which model S<G<R<Q make up options compare prices then go to a GOOD dealer sit down with him and discuss types ,size, and options. Look at floor samples. Take one out on the Lake if you can. The price you see on the Build A Boat may not be the price you'll pay. The dealer has some leeway. Make this boat as your first and last.

Some here subscribe to the adage, "Buy your last pontoon boat first."

Others? Not so much...........

"I bought too much horsepower."

Said no one ever.

All great advice. I will add a couple things, or more so elaborate on a couple. Do not be scared by the MSRP on the boat builder site. Most dealers should be able to adjust 10-15% for sure. Now keep in mind that the boat builder doesn't include trailers nor shipping. So if you're looking tritoon, 150, 22ft, tandem axle trailer, probably add $3500-$5000 for both. I know you said private dock, but you may still need a trailer for storage/service. 

I started with a 2009 2075 GLi with a 90hp (bought in Oct 09) on it. I had never owned a boat or really driven one, so it was a gamble to see if we would like it. Turns out we did and due to the fact that we enjoyed tubing and knee boarding and going fast, it wasn't going to be enough. So we kept it for '10 and '11 seasons, then ordered our "last boat" 2012 RCW with a 200hp and ESP. Loved it. Did everything we could have asked of it and more. Had it for '12 season, during which the Sport Tower option became available. Well, my dealer made me an offer I couldn't turn down at the boat show in Feb 2013, and the new one was ordered a short time after that. Loved everyone of them. But, my story was told to show you, really sit down and figure out what you expect for speed, comfort and amenities now, and what your budget is allowing you. As much fun as it has been getting a new boat, it is also a costly learned lesson. Of course,  I'm still thrilled that it was able to happen at all. 

Oh, and if you get either SPS, or ESP, get the in floor storage. It's huge and a great place for everything!! Welcome to the forum!! There is also a search tool up at the top that can be extremely helpful when you are trying to figure out what some options are, and if they are worth it. Or ask and we will all be willing to chime in!

I think I bought too much h... lol couldn't finish it...lol :)

Elle,

Where in Minnesota?

I don't think a tri toon is necessary for tubing or skiing, although it doesn't hurt. Just get a 150hp minimum. That's what I have, no probs tubing at half throttle.

Get the under deck wave shield.

Awesome!

This forum alone makes me excited for looking at a Benny. I am pretty sure that the other brands don't have this. Or at least I couldn't find it :)

As for the advice this is wonderful! Looking through the site I personally was very overwhelmed with all the options. 

• Some debate on the tri-toon - I honestly had never even considered one but after looking into that more, it definitely makes sense.
  • The SPS option I didn't even see on the site at first. Definitely eyeing that. I see some here went with the ESP package. I am not sure which one is better for me but definitely looking at that as well.
  • Didn't think of the need for a trailer as I will have a private dock, but the ability to shuttle it to another lake is nice, but not a need (I think). This I might forgo if I can find the right storage place that will pick up the boat for me. You know Minnesota winters! 
  • I am in the process of debating between the R series and the S series - with the options above. Somewhere in the 22-22' range.

I am hoping I have a good dealer, but again the expertise you guys have is priceless. 

And for those that asked, I am currently in Minneapolis but making the move to the suburbs - Maple Grove to be exact!

Thanks again, I could not be thankful for all of your help!!

Elle

Good luck!!  Keep reading and asking all the questions you need to be satisfied with your decisions.

Awesome!

This forum alone makes me excited for looking at a Benny. I am pretty sure that the other brands don't have this. Or at least I couldn't find it :)

As for the advice this is wonderful! Looking through the site I personally was very overwhelmed with all the options. 

• Some debate on the tri-toon - I honestly had never even considered one but after looking into that more, it definitely makes sense.
  • The SPS option I didn't even see on the site at first. Definitely eyeing that. I see some here went with the ESP package. I am not sure which one is better for me but definitely looking at that as well.
  • Didn't think of the need for a trailer as I will have a private dock, but the ability to shuttle it to another lake is nice, but not a need (I think). This I might forgo if I can find the right storage place that will pick up the boat for me. You know Minnesota winters! 
  • I am in the process of debating between the R series and the S series - with the options above. Somewhere in the 22-22' range.

I am hoping I have a good dealer, but again the expertise you guys have is priceless. 

And for those that asked, I am currently in Minneapolis but making the move to the suburbs - Maple Grove to be exact!

Thanks again, I could not be thankful for all of your help!!

Elle
One important consideration on 3 vs 2 toons is transport and storage. If you don't own a trailer, many dealers are not equipped to move a tri-toon or store it inside on their racks. Ask them to be sure. They often use transport trailers that are center lifting types, which don't typically work with tri-toons. Once at the storage facility forklifts with extra long tongs are required to move them around, so there is some risk of damage. Even though mine is on a lift at my home throughout the summer, I still bought a trailer to make all of that easier. I'm very glad I did.

The ESP is top of the line package, requires other related options, and is up priced accordingly. Several owners here opted for the less costly SPS and are reporting great results with 150 or 200hp. It's a great package to consider.

Back