The weekend in review

lakeliving

Reaction score
So this weekend was probably going to be the last for just the wife and I (before she gives birth) and the forecast looked great. Sunny both days and hot. Saturday we get out for an hour or so, let the dog swim, tool around and we notice the sky to the west getting dark. Thats  odd, forecast called for no storm! Grab the phone and check the radar, sure enough there is a band of storms coming. We float for a few more minutes and they wife says "5 More minutes" I say no, captains call and we are heading in. I get the boat in the lift, turn around and see this.

C1D1F33E-2D5F-46B7-9F86-826B9873847C_zpstvqjauny.jpg

I barely get inside and they winds are crazy. My neighbor had to run out as his down spout was being ripped off his house. Could have been worse though.

The storm and rain blows through and we go back out and have a couple hours together. While floating we notice a lady trying to bring a pontoon into a slip with a decent wind coming broadside. She was so bad the back of the boat came around into the other slip and as she throttled away for another attempt the back of her boat hit the one in the neighboring slip (a Bennington, she was on a crappy sweetwater) After she got it in everyone just got off and walked away. No note left. I drove right past as she was still on the dock to inspect but did not see any damage. I'll let the owner know when I see them out on the lake. I thought I was up by Jack for a minute!! We then head in to get her dad and step mom. When leaving the dock to go out I lift the bimini frame (from trailering to radar) and the port side falls off the fence. The two piece screw came loose and fell in the lake. Circle back, grab a temp bolt and we are on our way. Then while cruising through a section of lake I have driven through a million times we hit something. the whole boat jerked and my father in law said he saw the motor buck. WTF!! I get us to deeper water, jump in and inspect, no observed damage. Take it up to full throttle and no vibrations. I assume all is good. Only hit it at about 4 -6 mph. Maybe only 1400rpm.

That concludes Saturday

Sunday we get out, let the dog swim and the winds are really picking up. We find a place to anchor out of the way. Some kids in a beatup bayliner come by and drop anchor directly up wind of me in 20 mph winds.....Their anchor didn't bite and they are litterally 30 ft away when I let them know their boat is moving right at us. They were too busy passing a bottle of who knows what instead of paying attention. After the girls grab the anchorrs (while these two pussy boy's sit there) they circle around and try again.....directly up wind of us maybe 100 ft.....What do you know, the anchor didn't grab again and they are coming right at us. This time by the time I tell them again and they get their anchors pulled up their boat is about to crash into ours. It doesn't take long in a 20mph wind to be blown around. To make things worse I have a bad back and now my very pregnant wife and I are on our hands an knees holding this other boat off our starboard side so it wouldn't hit ours. Meanwhile those same two pussy boys are just sitting there. I yell at them to get the hell up and help. They are clueless & useless. Kind of in a trance. Luckily no boat to boat contact but I was about to loose it. They leave and we head to the dock. I get the boat into the lift with a 20mph cross wind ( I was impressed with myself!!) and we decide just to sit on the boat while in the lift and relax. Then our neighbor who has a empty lot next to us comes to use his old pontoon. He fights to get it started and then once it fires he pushes off from the dock. It  stalls shortly afterward and now the wind is blowing him right at our boat in the lift. I jump up again with a bad back and jump in the water to grab his boat. He tinkers with it and they speed off.

All in all it was nice being on the water but I am almost glad it is Monday!!!!

I know it wasn't a tornado but the storm of events seemed to last all weekend.

How was your uweekend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an entertaining couple of days. We had that wacky weather here too. Turned coal black and ran right through us, sun came out right after that.

As I started reading, I really thought the story might end with joy in the delivery room, and I'm not talking about Benny deliveries!

Saturday, we go to the Cincinnati/Cleveland game with 6 friends.  97 degrees and 95% humidity.  We get to stay to the end because 5 of the friends are from Cleveland.   Sunday is mid day storms and rain.  Get the boat in the barn before the rain, than piddle cleaning and throwing stuff away.  About 3 pm, sky looks clear and nothing on the radar.  Grab Jill and Kimber (the dog) and we go to a great local park for a walk.  Get 1/2 mile from the car and it starts pouring rain.  No shelters and the tree we are under isn't shedding the rain.  No option but to walk back to the car.  I have been less wet floating in the water.  Just had the Suburban detailed Sat morning and dog is shaking dry in the back and Jill is removing clothing on the trip home. Water everywhere. Get home in 10 minutes and park in bright sunshine.  

Hell of a weekend Lakeliving!!! You sure Jack wasn't in the area?!? Seems like one of those days where you just park the boat, go home and get under the covers! Ha!

Pretty much the same for us weatherwise. Checked the weather.......0% chance of rain! Took some neighbors out who had a visiting relative. Great day cruised a bit then went and hid in a protected No Wake zone cove and had lunch. Sky was getting progressively darker then got sunny thinking........0% CHANCE OF RAIN!!! Well when we first heard the rumble of thunder then saw lightning in the distance we raced back to our slip. We barely had enough time to tie up........get our stuff off........put the Bimini in the boot........get the cover snapped and get the poles up.............then the Monsoon hit! By the time we got across the street we were soaked!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh Summer time!

I've got a lean to on the side of my boathouse with a 3000 lb. Ace lift--holding up one Waverunner.

Saturday, the winds were whipping, the boats were making more waves--and a cross beam holding a couple of pulleys and the front of my Waverunner twisted and broke. I happened to be sitting on the Ski at the time.

I tied the machine where it wouldn't hit anything and let it ride for the night.

After church, I got a new 4 x 6 beam and cut it like the last one--with some improvements. With a 101 degree heat factor, drilling 1/2 inch holes in the steel supports was quite unpleasant. I had to stand on my pontoon fencing while drilling for 1/2 hour.

At least I didn't have to deal with a bunch of yokels that don't deserve to be out on the water.

Congratulations on the new baby in process. Hope your back gets better.

Same with us lakeliving.  We had our friends who we met in Italy[they live in Boston] for the weekend and it was nothing like the forecast.  We still hade a lot of fun even though Friday night was such a drenching we had to stay in the camp.  Cleared up nice Saturday afternoon just long enough for a nice long boat ride with multiple stops for drinks and dinner and then back to the rain.

Good luck on the birth and try to find the time to update us when you can

We rented a cabin at a marina on Dale Hollow this weekend, Whew it was hot Sat and Sunday. Had a great time, Went up to the eastern part of the lake we haven't been to and saw the path one of the tornado's made. The same storm dasalmon received his damage from. I tell you the East port Marina really got lucky, the path headed straight for them and evidently lifted just before it hit them. Moved the docks around and some trees on some cabins but very lucky. 

Yesterday a lot less humidity and very pleasant, Checked the radar at lunch and what I was expecting had disapated! So we are on our way back to the marina we stayed at probably 15 miles away and the sky looks serious. So I ran wide open trying to beat the storm and just got a piece of it. It was raining sideways and when we got to the covered dock 3 guys standing there waiting to help us in. Boating people are just plain awesome. Storm blew past and the sun popped out and another beautiful afternoon. 

Today back to work!!!!

As I started reading, I really thought the story might end with joy in the delivery room, and I'm not talking about Benny deliveries!
I was thinking the exact same thing.  We look forward to hearing the good news about the delivery. And you know the rule -- post pictures or it didn't happen!  :)

Will do!

Dang Andy, I'd say if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. I guess you can look at it optimistically and say it can only get better ......

Back