Tips for Docking Tritoon in High Winds

Actually we are in about 4' of water .So if needed all hands are over board walking into our lift. Or if the wind isn't in our favor we enjoy another activity.
I'm thinking my wife's eye would be just above water if she jumped in. lol o_O

...she finally had a safe opportunity to jump off with the anchor line in her hand tied to the front cleat and she immediately wrapped it around the first post she got to. Once the bow was under control, she slowly pulled in slack as I inched closer to the dock. That day I learned two things. 1. My wife is a real bad ass as a first mate...

I was struggling to dock, but just because I'm a newbie to powerboating... and my wife did the same thing! Surprised the heck out of me... and her, I think! She said she suddenly remembered helping her dad dock their cabin cruiser and it just seemed to be the most natural thing in the world to do!

In addition to all the great advice already given, I'll add that after installing an EDSON MARINE Pro Series Steering Power Knob on my Wheel last season it dramatically improved my docking abilities. It allows for very quick, and effortless, changes in motor direction while maneuvering at the docks. Should have done this a LONG time ago with all my boats. If we upgrade to a newer boat it will go with me ... it will not stay with the boat!

Wow, I'm Proud of the lakes I boat on, Center Hill and Dale Hollow in Tennessee. You cant approach a dock without someone offering assistants. The best I have seen, We were out in a storm and rain blowing sideways coming in. I was thinking how will I ever get this thing in the slip. All I could hear as I approach was come on we got you. And they did. 6 Men had nothing to do but get us in under cover. I will do the same until i'm unable for sure.

I always offered in the RV world to help people that were having a hard time backing in.
Some would thank me and say no while others welcomed the help. I especially offered help if I saw the wife and kids sitting at the picnic table while dad was jackknifing the trailer for the 5th time lol. We were all newbie's once.

I will do the same until i'm unable for sure.

Me too!

We had our first experience this last weekend trying to dock our 25 Q I/O in gusting winds into our 10 foot wide slip this past weekend. Winds were around 20 MPH coming from port side. We tried coming straight in, then from the right into the wind and then was most successful coming in from the left downwind and turning nose into the slip. No damage done since I came in slow and the entrance to the slip was protected by the large corner bumpers I installed on the slip. Had trouble after getting nose in and then have the wind blow the stern to the right. I', sure my neighbors were enjoying watching us from their decks! Never had trouble with docking our old deck boat, although there is no comparison in the 2 boats on the water. Ride is SO much smoother, and MORE fun, in the new Benny.

Always put the bow in first, the you have the motor to control the stern. I always have 2 gaffer poles for the crew to help out. Have a healthy respect for the power of wind.

Wow, I'm Proud of the lakes I boat on, Center Hill and Dale Hollow in Tennessee. You cant approach a dock without someone offering assistants. The best I have seen, We were out in a storm and rain blowing sideways coming in. I was thinking how will I ever get this thing in the slip. All I could hear as I approach was come on we got you. And they did. 6 Men had nothing to do but get us in under cover. I will do the same until i'm unable for sure.

DHL is southern hospitality!

Back