Toon Brite Took Off Outer Finish Layer

MPW2000

Reaction score
I have a new 2013 QCW and we used Toon Brite on it recently. It appears to have removed an outer coating/finish on the pontoon in a specific area we tested. Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts on how to restore this?

Mike

Toon brite is an acid cleaner. Once used, there is no way to restore the "mill" finish of the aluminum.

Did it have sharkhide on it?

Not sure if it had shark hide or not, we were just reading up on that now. Have you used it?

Look at your order sheet and see if you had Sharkhide. Sounds like you may have or you removed a section of oxidation and it's back to bare aluminum.

Looking at it, it does look like bare aluminum. If that is the case, how would I best restore it, is it a matter of refinishing with shark hide?

Sharkhide is $65 per quart.  If you did this in an inconspicuous place, like inside the toons, I'd just leave it.

If not, some sharkhide may put it back to normal.  I've not used an acid wash before though.  Someone here will know.

Did the aluminum turn white?

Yes, I would say that it what it looked like. And it appears bare.

And, we did find Sharkhide on the order from the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put some Sharkhide back on where you used the acid.

last question, shark hide has a protectant, a cleaner, & a Polish. Which one might I be looking for if it is already cleaned and ready to go, I assume either the Polish or the protectant or maybe even both.

Thoughts?

Protectant is the one the factory would have applied 

Yes, protectant. Just put it on my boat this week.

I would be really surprised if Sharkhide will bring back the shine. It is a protective coating not a polish. I'm thinking you will just have a clear coating over a white spot. If you spray Sharkhide on a anodized pontoon, it won't make it shiny. 

Then again.... I could be wrong ..

Good Luck and let us know how it works

I finished the polish on mine this weekend on the outside of the Toons. On the inside I used acid wash to clean the parts you dont see much. I used Sharkhide on both the outside and inside and all Sharkhide does is seals whatever finish is there. Basically clear. 

any suggestions on how to restore the original finish?
I would try to buff it out and see how it looks. If you want to run it by my house this weekend, I'd be more than happy to hit with my buffer.

Read some of the stuff on here(the forum)on buffing out toons.

Bamaman and I have both used White Lightning.  Get it at an autoparts store near the waxes.  It is an aluminum polish.  Appy it by hand.  It shines up the toons close to the factory look, without getting them mirror shiny, especially if you apply it by hand.

I think if you posted a picture it would help tremendously.

Go to Advance Auto Parts and get some White Diamond aluminum polish.  Use it to polish the "white finish" area. 

Then clean that small area with lacquer cleaner and a towel--until no black comes off on the towel.

Then apply the Sharkhide.  I think you can spot the old Sharkhide with the new.

I use a Porter Cable dual action polisher with a wool polishing bonnet to apply my polish.  In about 90 seconds, the black oxide turns to dust and mostly disappears into the air.  I don't want to work so hard on cleaning my toons with lacquer cleaner.  I give up on the black aluminum oxide smudging in Sharkhide all over my toons.  I have just decided to do a periodic 90 minute toon polish whenever they tarnish.

Bamaman, I know exactly how you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back