Towing 24SBRX help

MzZorro

Reaction score
We are soon to be the owners of a new 24SBRX Bennington. Our question/concern is towing it with our current vehicles. Our last boat was a smaller speed boat so no big deal there. We have a 2009 Chevy Traverse and a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. Does anyone have any advice or help you can give me? Thanks!

Your Traverse has an approx. 5200 lb. tow capacity.  The Jeep only has a 3500 lb. tow capacity.

You don't say what hull you have and what engine you're running.  If you're running the SPS package and a Yamaha 150, you're at 3064 lbs + 480 lbs. + 100 (battery) + 250 (fuel) + 900 (trailer)= 4794 lbs.

I'm sorry, but you're maxed out on the Traverse after all the carry on's, coolers, etc. 

How far are you going to be trailering?  Are your ramps steep, and are they in good shape?  How is the terrain where you're going to be towing?  Flat?  Are you going to be carrying many people in your Traverse to the lake?  Does your trailer have surge brakes?

Without knowing the above answers and if money wasn't an issue, I'd tell you to trade the Traverse for a new Tahoe or Silverado crew cab.  But that's not the real world.  If you're towing not very far, and you're roads are flat and the boat ramps are good, you may be okay driving what you've got. 

But remember that you've got to be able to turn a corner and stop promptly.  And due to very poor aerodynamics, a pontoon/tritoon boat pulls like it's substantially heavier than it really is.  But only you can decide on how your vehicle handles the boat in your given situation.

Good luck to you.

Bama is spot on, lay of the land will hold many answers. I will say this, if I was always towing, and for any kind of highway, I don't think I would use either. I tow 45 minutes each way through some decent hills, and my 03 Tahoe didn't love it, the Caddy doesn't care. The big thing is safety, and the next thing is how hard it will be on the Traverse. 

No way I would tow that with a Traverse. Member "mtudb24" here used a 4-door Wrangler for his 2275RCW and said it towed fine. You might ping him here to get his thoughts on that.

There is another big active towing thread HERE

Great real world answer Bamaman

Back