Towing a tube

Stahlman17

Reaction score
Can anyone give me good advice on hooking up a bridle harness to the eyes on the pontoons? I've seen comments both good and bad.

Not sure what you are asking for exactly, just get a standard ski bridle with the carabiners on each end and hook it up. I'm not sure what kind of bad comments you've read or heard but that is why the eyes are there I assume. I've got a 2050 FSi set up this way and have had absolutely no problems. We pull a tube mostly, an occasional a skier, and get along fine.

Curious, what were the negatives you saw or heard?

I was told by my dealer to not tow anything from these loops, they are only for strapping the pontoon down to the trailer, so I purchased the ski pylon as recomended.

I was told by my dealer to not tow anything from these loops, they are only for strapping the pontoon down to the trailer, so I purchased the ski pylon as recomended.
I looked into adding a tower and was told that the loops would work fine. A tower is much better at keeping the rope up out of the water and I still may get one.

Please use the stainless u-bolts on either side of the transom. They are anchored to the quarter inch stern cross channel. Thanks, TB

TB. I know this is probably the strongest place to tow from, but not the most convienient. When trying to hook to these, the ropes for the harness are directly in line with the steering arms, hoses and other things in the motor area. It would be better if these eyes were spread out to allow clearance of the transom area. Just food for thought.

TB. I know this is probably the strongest place to tow from, but not the most convienient. When trying to hook to these, the ropes for the harness are directly in line with the steering arms, hoses and other things in the motor area. It would be better if these eyes were spread out to allow clearance of the transom area. Just food for thought.
We prefer customers use a Bennington ski tow bar or pylon, but these eyes are just as strong. We require that dealers use them to lift boats, and they are positioned specifically for that manuever! Sorry they are not most convenient for you. :mellow:

We prefer customers use a Bennington ski tow bar or pylon, but these eyes are just as strong. We require that dealers use them to lift boats, and they are positioned specifically for that manuever! Sorry they are not most convenient for you.
mellow.gif
So tying directly to those 2 u bolts connected to the rear (on either side of the motor will work just fine? They won't pull out?

They say that's where they lift the whole boat by, so it should be good! Hehe, just definitely not by the eyelets on the end of the pontoons.

They say that's where they lift the whole boat by, so it should be good! Hehe, just definitely not by the eyelets on the end of the pontoons.
Well if Bennington says it's ok as well as members of this forum, then I'm all in!thanks

Maybe my harness/bridle is different but when I hook the ends to the "U" bolts on the side of the transom, it is long enough to go behind my outboard motor and floats so it stays clear of the prop when stopped. Since it is behind the motor there is no contact with steering lines or other connections as mentioned above.

Jack

I have a couple of related questions to towing a tube that I hope you experts can answer for me.

I just bought a 2013 24SSRX with twin-ellipticals and a 115 HP Yamaha 4-stroke (first time boater with all of 4 hours experience). I just ordered a 3-person chariot-style towable tube, the Gladiator 3-rider Super Brawler, along with the SportsStuff Booster Ball. I plan on cruising with friends and family over the 4th of July weekend.

1. My boat has a tow bar already installed, is it better to use the tow bar or to get a harness and connect it to the U-bolts directly on the boat?

2. I want to have a full boat of people and tow ~400 lbs on the tube. Anybody have experience and success doing this with this setup?

I've been told that I "should" have no problems doing this (before I bought the boat). But today on this forum, I've seen comments that suggest I may not have enough power to accomplish this. I'm looking for comments from people with experience. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
We use the ski/towbar for tubes all the time. Shouldn't be a problem.

"Livin" I have a 2275GFi with twin ellipticals and a 90HP Yamaha and use the U-bolts to attach my tow harness. (Like Jack65K, my harness floats and has never been a problem with anything related to the motor/controls). Since you have a tow bar I suppose you should try towing tubes both ways and see which one people like better.

I also use and really like the booster ball. It serves two purposes; it helps keep the tow rope out of the water and as a gaudy big bright red and yellow ball it serves as a safety device to let others know you are towing something. (I am hyper about being around other boaters and jet skis when towing someone)

As for towing 400 lbs worth of people, you will be able to do "it", I suspect it will be more of a leisure ride versus a thrill ride! Most I have towed is two 11 year old boys together for about 180-190 lbs total and they sort of got bored pretty quick. On the other hand, they do have fun and still want to do it!

I think your biggest issue will be where to put 9 people, a giant tube, and giant booster ball and all the tow ropes along with all the necessary drink coolers etc.! Good luck and have fun.

When pulling a tube from the pylon, be extremely careful not to let the tube "submarine" after the riders fall off. This puts extreme pressure on the pylon and may cause it to bend. I hate to say it, but I don't think you will have a problem as I don't think you will have enough speed to throw any one off. My first Benny was a 2250 gcw with a 115 and twin elpticals with no strakes. If I didn't have to much of load in the boat I could do just ok pulling the tube. But with a good load, it was pretty boring. Hate to put a damper on it, but just giving you my real time experience.

Best of luck.

FYI - if you are putting the ski pole in, either do it on land before you launch, OR tie the rope to it first, and to a cleat. That thing is heavy and if you drop it in the water, you are not going to grab it with one hand, or 5 hands, when it is sinking.

You will have trouble pulling a 2 person tube on a lightly loaded boat ( 6 to 8) people. You need at least a 150hp to to tow a 3 person tube. I sold my 3 person tube. After trying many 2 person designs I finally found one that tow OK with two people. Need to be at WOT (5800 to 6000 rpm) all the time maybe hit 20mph . I have a 2250 RCW with a 115hp Merc 4 stroke. So short answers is no, you don'r have enough motor for your plan.

I have a couple of related questions to towing a tube that I hope you experts can answer for me.

I just bought a 2013 24SSRX with twin-ellipticals and a 115 HP Yamaha 4-stroke (first time boater with all of 4 hours experience). I just ordered a 3-person chariot-style towable tube, the Gladiator 3-rider Super Brawler, along with the SportsStuff Booster Ball. I plan on cruising with friends and family over the 4th of July weekend.

1. My boat has a tow bar already installed, is it better to use the tow bar or to get a harness and connect it to the U-bolts directly on the boat?

2. I want to have a full boat of people and tow ~400 lbs on the tube. Anybody have experience and success doing this with this setup?

I've been told that I "should" have no problems doing this (before I bought the boat). But today on this forum, I've seen comments that suggest I may not have enough power to accomplish this. I'm looking for comments from people with experience. Thanks in advance!

You can tow 10 people on 3 tubes if you want....but we are talking about giving the tubers a ride not a drag along. So how many people can a 115hp tow on a 22ft benny. Answer = 1 and that is marginal with a full boat.. Two person towing can be done, you will always need to zig zag the boat to get a whip going or risk boring the tubers to death. Bottom line is benny dealers should NEVER sell a 115hp to a customer who says they plan to tube. You need 150hp min to do that job. I fell for that as well when I was told 115hp was enough for watersports. It is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto again.

Back