Towing Cover For Benny ?

98901734.jpg

Yes , That is Heinz Field in the background !!

http://www.buymarinecovers.com/

They make covers for Bennington models.
Thank you 

Went to site 

Unfortunately the latest model year they make surprisingly is 2013

I am not sure if they are towing covers or mooring covers

With the distance to the only Bennington Dealers in the area being almost 100 miles for either one way

A Tow Cover is in my near future

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke at length with my dealer about this and he assured me that the provided cover was well suited for towing. He will deliver my boat with it on, not off and stored.

When I mentioned that I had read that Bennington frowned on the use of their provided covers for towing he looked puzzled and said that he had been doing it that way for a decade.

So, with mixed emotions from me they are delivering the boat on Friday with the cover on. If the cover sustains any damage I image he will stand behind our conversation with a warranty claim.

The mooring cover is for keeping rain and stuff off the boat while docked.  Will the cover work for towing (yes)     We towed to Canada for 8 years with the mooring cover (other boat) and it worked fine.  We bought a custom fitted true trailing cover ($1,100).  It is totally different.  It is twice as heavy, 100 percent waterproof and should last twice as long.

If I had a new boat I would not hesitate to drive it 2 hours with the top on.  Just make sure all the snaps are tight and check it after 15 minutes of driving.  If any snaps have released then think about removing it.  This issue is not something to stress about.  

There is a noticeable difference in towing without the cover.  The boat feels much heavier with the increased drag. 

Copied this from Semper Fi's post:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

This was copied from older thread .... From Bennington :

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

If you are hauling your Bennington, be sure the bimini top is locked in the radar position or trailering-strut position with the boot securely in place. Be sure the playpen cover is securely fastened with all snaps in place to avoid wind whip. Use common sense when hauling! The playpen cover fabric is durable enough for towing, but if you are planning a long-distance trip at 60 mph, you should consider shrink-wrap. Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

I towed our old boat (bowrider) home with the mooring cover on when we were ready to sell it. Was fine for first 90 miles or so (I was physically checking snaps) then I could see one snap come loose in mirror and before I could stop entire top flew off. Fortunately no cars were behind me. Cover didn't rip, but I had to replace about 10 snaps before selling boat. It was a bowrider tho, not pontoon and I had towed it before. I learned my lesson the hard way and am much more alert/concerned now whenever I any see boats on road without true trailering covers.

This is what happend to me  picking up my new benny last year, the dealer told me it was ready to go and I also checked for myself and it looked ok to me too. I got about ten miles down the road and one of the snaps released and started wipping. 

The cover was replaced and the fence was replaced. Dealer also told me that later last summer they were notifed from bennington that the morring cover was not to be used as a travel cover. 

I would recommend just trailer it home with the cover stored under a seat or in your vehicle..

49BCEA92-6F1C-4675-AA3C-B5CD48385DD4_zpszuqgjw0m.jpg

Well clrd that certainly is opposite from SemperFi's post in January 2013.  Perhaps one of the moderators could ask TB for an update 

Dealer phoned Boat is completely ready 

Due to rain and cold he prefers we wait to launch boat in his nearby lake

I asked about towing the boat with the cover 

He said no problem, just take your time 

LOL
I said could we shrink wrap for the trip

His reply

Ofcourse we can 

If you feel it is needed

1.gif

You Can't Make Stuff Like This Up !

Hey Link 

Yes I did read Semps post also. I think that is a issue with Bennington and the dealers. You can ask the same question to ten dealers and you probably sometimes will get ten different answers.

I can only relay what I was told.. 

One other thing with my picture and why the snap may have released, If you look real close at the snap on the boat you will see that there is a screw driver tip broke off in the screw of the snap. This is one of the reasons there was no question on replacing it under warranty. 

My dealer said they highly recommend towing with the mooring cover on because they have had seat cushions blow out before.

After towing mine home I saw a tag on the cover stating the cover would not be covered under warranty if used while towing.   :wacko:

8 Grand 

Ross 

Is your Dealer related to my Dealer ?

Cartoon_Twin_Boys_Walking_To_School_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100204-173285-343042.jpg

That is a huge similarity to what I deal with on a daily basis !!!
Ha ha, mines been pretty good.

I only tow 55 miles twice a year, but I have always tried to do so in fair weather cover off to avoid stretching out the material.

There's actually another post I found dated older ??

UPDATE NOTE JUNE 2012 REGARDING HAULING: Bennington does NOT recommend towing with your playpen cover installed. The playpen cover is a "mooring cover" for use when the boat is moored at the dock or stored on the trailer. Although you could easily haul at low speeds/short distances many times and never have an issue, it's the 1 in 100 situation that can catch you. The fabric is durable, but snap-whip from a loosened snap, snap-strain from high speed towing, and various other situations can cause damage to your cover. Use common sense when hauling! Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

Edit: I pinned a new thread in the Pontoon Forum section copied from a TB thread concerning this issue

You know 

I guess you just have to know how to talk to them

LOL LOL LOL

Things have changed 

My Boat is Being DELIVERED 

Enough is enough 

Being nice is one thing but I can only take so much

Sometimes you have to demand things get done and get done to your satisfaction

I did just that and after shocking the dealer he will be delivering the boat 

13706248-cartoon-pirate-with-a-hook-and-cutlass-isolated-on-white.jpg

Glad to hear it. Hopefully he takes the cover off!

LOL 

LOL 

No matter what he does Andy he is responsible for the safe delivery of boat which is to be in show room shape

Taking pictures in showroom before boat is placed in his Lake for Test Drive 

2080706-sailor-illustration-an-illustration-of-a-handsome-strong-jawed-sailor-at-the-ships-wheel.jpg

When are you doing your walk through ?

Back