Towing Vehicles?? What do you recommend?

/monthly_2016_04/large.20160323_140304.jpeg.cecb278d3daaa40019688cdb4a0bd7d4.jpeg

Tow vehicle of choice for me is an '07 F250 supercrew "the diesel beast"

DSC08249.jpg

Love my diesel VW Touareg

/monthly_2016_04/large.5722c6ea81e6d_Touareg-1.jpg.d61e79506c8d5b2dad514ade7b43b8e1.jpg

Hey Tom, class 1 or class 2 hitch on the little beast?

Class III, 7700 lb tow rating, 616 lb tongue weight. It's effortless and very stable with the Bennington and also has great braking on the VW, tandem discs/surge on the trailer.

Class III, 7700 lb tow rating, 616 lb tongue weight. It's effortless and very stable with the Bennington and also has great braking on the VW, tandem discs/surge on the trailer.

Nice vehicle Tom. The tow package really makes the difference on the Touareg. Have a Great summer on that boat.The RCW is a fantastic layout.

6.7 Diesel 

6847D11D-9463-475F-A714-B62E8AC0E6C3_zpszt7v6yaf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took everyone's advice here and though I just paid off my car, we went and bought a new F-150 this morning!  So long having no monthly payments!  :p

/monthly_2016_04/large.IMG_20160430_120950161.jpg.b1cbce168565857acb9301a3acca9b63.jpg

More pics in my Gallery.

Is your new boat blue, Heidi?

And did you get the heated tailgate option?

If I had my choice in color it would be blue, no it's black with red accent panel.

No heated tailgate, went with heated seats instead, rear is more important than hands!  :p

LOL!

I tow my 20 Slx triple with my 2013 tacome. There is something to consider. My tacoma pulls it fine but your benny is 8.5 feet wide and that can make for some hairy rear viewing. These things may be light but they are like pulling a parachute. I chose a lighter truck with great pulling capacity and a tandem axel trailer with a good brake system. 

While a pontoon boat (even a loaded tri toon with a 250) is not a heavy load for most mid sized trucks and SUV's I'd highly recommend a full sized pickup or SUV.  A 1/2 ton truck is plenty, you don't have to get a heavy duty monster.  What's great is that now you can get a diesel engine in the many of them.  I have the Ram with the EcoDiesel.  Ford is putting a small diesel in their F150 soon and Chevy has the baby-max (small Duramax) but they put it in a mid sized truck.  Around town the Colorado/Canyon would be no problem but I wouldn't go on a long highway trip with any hills.  It's not always about the engine and transmission's capabilities.  It's about the width and wheelbase and weight of the tow vehicle.  You don't want the load controlling YOU. 

Before the Duramax I had a Chevy Silverado with the ever-so-popular and great 5.3L engine.  I towed a U-Haul tandem car hauler with a car on it and got 14.5 mpg on the highway.  I towed my Benny after that which was 2/3 the weight but that large footprint (and "windprint") took the mileage down to 11.  That's why I say go full sized unless you're towing around town only.

Today's 1/2 ton offerings from the big three are all awesome and have been for several years (try and stay 2012 or newer).   If you haven't owned a truck in a while, these now have tow ratings about as high as yesteryear's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and they're better on gas and again, if you like diesel, you now have options without having to buy the heavy duty 3/4 and 1 ton pickups that get 15 to 16 mpg on the highway (empty) with their bigger diesel engines.

One last question: Since your new Furd is aluminum, are you gonna get it Sharkhided?

;-)

Oh that would be awesome!! Lol.  I am going to get autobutler on it though!  Had that on the rav4 i traded in and IMO it is well worth it.  When i went to trade it for the truck they were so impressed with how the paint held up and how clean it was they gave me $1k more over KBB trade in value!  Its going to be a little weird bringing a Ford truck to the Toyota dealer every 6 months.  :p

Back