Trailer Brakes

Bob & Sandi

Reaction score
Seeing that we purchased a larger pontoon, we need a new trailer. I am ordering optional disk brakes but the only thing available is electric over hydraulic. What is everyone using? I would like to have a totally electric system but can't find a supplier. I don't like surge brakes. The trailer I am buying is a Karavan.

I need to order ASAP as the build time is 4-6 weeks and the boat has a build date starting 3/22.I have the trailer dealer checking the cost of several other options and should hear from them early this week.

Thanks ,

Bob

Brake 1.jpg

I just built a triple axle trailer for our new Bennington and did 2 axles with hydraulic brakes with a Dexter Electric/Hydraulic K71-651-00 Actuator and an very impressed with its performance. I would strongly recommend this unit.

Last edited:
Electric over hydraulic brakes are fantastic!

Thanks for the replies. This is the kind of information I was looking for. I had really hoped I could find a true electric disk setup but the electric over hydraulic will do the job. I always like to use the manual function on the controller to clean the brakes and on steep hills, use the brakes lightly to assist in controlling speed. Just light pressure, it also lets me know that the brakes are truely working.

I think I may have to do the install myself as Karavan is only offering a surge setup. I did ask about having them do the brakes and the plumbing and then just let me install the actuator.

Bob

joecfd1
Who built your trailer? From what I can see of it, it looks really nice. I also like your winch, haven't seen one like that before. I don't see a break away.

Did you have to rewire your tow vehicle. The wiring diagram for the actuator calls for a 40 amp power circuit. I don't think any mfg. has a stock power circuit thru the factory 7 pin that large, I know that my Dodge doesn't. I think the wire used is either a 14 or 16 gauge wire from the fuse box to the rear of the truck. I know I was scratching my head when I was checking my car trailer. I was using that constant power to charge the battery in the trailer.

I don't like the idea of cutting the factory harness to install a larger wire. Will take a look at what it would take to replace the wire from the factory fuse box to the factory 7 pin.

Bob

Last edited:
joecfd1
Who built your trailer? From what I can see of it, it looks really nice. I also like your winch, haven't seen one like that before. I don't see a break away.

Did you have to rewire your tow vehicle. The wiring diagram for the actuator calls for a 40 amp power circuit. I don't think any mfg. has a stock power circuit thru the factory 7 pin that large, I know that my Dodge doesn't. I think the wire used is either a 14 or 16 gauge wire from the fuse box to the rear of the truck. I know I was scratching my head when I was checking my car trailer. I was using that constant power to charge the battery in the trailer.

I don't like the idea of cutting the factory harness to install a larger wire. Will take a look at what it would take to replace the wire from the factory fuse box to the factory 7 pin.

Bob

Bob, I built my own trailer as I needed to make it as low as possible to fit in a 8' garage door. Here is the thread with pics. http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/i-have-a-build-date-week-also.9318/ . My 2017 Chevy has a 30amp fuse with a 12ga. wire which is plenty sufficient. If you download the installation manual, they call for a 30-40 amp circuit although the schematic says 40amp?? Mine works great with the factory Chevy brake controller.

The tongue winch is a Fulton F2.

Last edited:
I have the same winch. Pricey but works great.

Back