Trailer bunks plastic covered or carpeted? Thoughts

Cpabst39

Reaction score
When I purchased my new boat I got a Mid America trailer with it. The bunks and front stops are wood covered in plastic. I don't have any experience with plastic covered bunks only carpeted bunks on my previous boat trailer. At first I thought plastic was a good thing but the more I think about it I'm wondering if carpeted is the way to go from a protection standpoint on the bottom of the toons and the front rubrail, my rub rail is the anodized aluminum. What is everyone's experiences, thoughts and opinions on plastic vs carpeted bunks.

I have the Mid America with plastic covers, no issues at all. We don't trailer but twice a year though, so not much experience. Note they are VERY slippery when backing down the ramp.

My trailer carpet stayed wet all summer and the carpet got black mold and started ripping apart after just a couple summers. I replaced it with plastic. Works great.  Boat loads a lot easier too.  Use stainless screws if you go plastic. And recess them a little so the don't scratch the toons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced all the boards and carpet on my trailer 2 years ago. It's all I've ever had on 2 boat trailers and a double jet ski trailer so I stuck with it.......

Not good for the wood to stay wet all summer, even if it is treated.  With the plastic I put on, the boards dry quickly compared to wet carpet sitting on them all summer.

I switched my boat lift from carpet to plastic.  the wood holds up much better than the carpeted version.

Back