Trailer Front Stop Bumpers

kkitowski

Reaction score
What does everyone have for protection to the boat on the front stops of a bunk (or scissor) trailer?  Any particular pros/cons that you have found for any bumpers to protect the boat when loading onto the trailer?

I'm also really curious as to what can be done about this. On my last boat, the front bunks weren't quite straight and it did a lot of superficial damage to the front of my boat. I'd really love to put something between the boat and the bunks that could be replaced if needed. 

I'm also really curious as to what can be done about this. On my last boat, the front bunks weren't quite straight and it did a lot of superficial damage to the front of my boat. I'd really love to put something between the boat and the bunks that could be replaced if needed. 
When I tow (which is seldom) I tie wrap some swim noodles to the vertical bumpers so the front rail and snaps don't rub on the bunk carpet… 

Here comes the personal preference again, i don't pull the boat all the way against the the stops, i stop short by an inch or 2.

I then use a ratchet strap to pull the front down so it doesn't bounce, and 2 more in the back.

The bump stops had left rub marks and took off one of the cover snaps, and now i can get to the front snaps that where covered by the stops.

Assuming that you have had to stop at least 1 time quicker than desired, even with the ratchet straps on the back, I would assume the boat would lurch forward and hit into the stops getting a pretty good hit, right?   I am sure my tow vehicle can handle the unexpected hit, but it would sure scare my wife if she were driving for some reason....  

I have the front winch of course + safety chain + front bow strap to pull down + 2 rear ratchet straps currently, but in general most of those are on the trailer to prevent it from going towards the rear, not towards the front..... 

The structural integrity of the trailer relies on the bow being secured to the bow stop.

Otherwise the trailer frame is continually flexing which would cause premature metal fatigue at some point.

My boat is pulled all the way up to the carpeted bumper stop and secured. The rub rail does get dirty from the contact. From time to time I'll clean the rub rail on the front w/Totally awesome cleaner. Problem solved..........

Here comes the personal preference again, i don't pull the boat all the way against the the stops, i stop short by an inch or 2.

I then use a ratchet strap to pull the front down so it doesn't bounce, and 2 more in the back.

The bump stops had left rub marks and took off one of the cover snaps, and now i can get to the front snaps that where covered by the stops.
+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do the exact same thing. There is more than enough weight where the boat will not move and mine is heavy enough that is doesn't move even with EZ slides on the bunks, now that may change in a couple of weeks when I change out my carpeted bunks and put the high-density polyethelene bunks on. They showed up a couple days ago, I got 4 pair of the nine footers. http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Bill N if the boat is rocking that much to cause the trailer to flex excessively then the weight distribution is off which most trailers I have seen have adjustable axles and can be moved forward or back to get the load distribution correct.

Go to your dealer and order the rub rail protectors. Put them on,(which is the problem I still haven't got around to doing!) problem solved.

I just ordered a pair today, as I posted in another thread about them the parts man looked at me like the WTH are you talking about, he looked through the parts list on the web and I went through the book and neither of us could find them so he called into benny and got the price and part # from them and ordered them for me and was curious about them once Benny told him there is such a thing in existance and wants to see them when they show up.

My dealer said $27 and change each plus shipping.

When they come in I will post up a part number so anyone else doesn't go through trying to find something that isn't listed in any parts or accessory book we could find at the dealer.

Not sure who found them originally on this site or how they were found but good find however it was. :ph34r:

Please post up part numbers from now on lol.......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Those stops are great!  Something that we can install if we get the parts or call Bennington I assume.  I think they should be standard on all boats in my mind.  :)

Got the factory stops in 2011 when I bought the boat. Posted pics to my gallery in 2013 for BulldogsCadillac when he asked about them.

Here is the link to my gallery for what they look like

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/uploads/gallery/album_137/gallery_222_137_304542.jpg

Hope this helps

Todd
Hey, thanks again Todd! One thing I forgot to tell you is i think they changed them a little, or my dealer ordered the wrong thing. If you look at the newer boats where the cleats are it is actually two pieces of aluminum. Hmm, that doesn't make sense. I'll have to get a picture.  Basically, you know how your protectors go completely over the rub rail, mine are two pieces that are more molded directly to the front and just go above and below the shiny rub rail. I'm guessing then the idea is it can't dent it. Yup I'll have to take a pic.

I wonder if anything in my gallery shows it?......

So on this one you can see if you zoom in right at the base of the tower

And you can see it on this pic of my last boat

Not sure if it works as well as Todd's, but it's what I got! :)

I got a set and on a post in Dock Forum I posted how I set them up. They're neat don't distract from the boat and will help save the rubrail from scratches or in my case save the rubber molding from ware. $30.00 each.

I have the Bennington installed rubber rail wraparound but at the bumper the rubber started to show small cuts. The protectors will now keep the rubber safe I can also snap all the bow snaps of the playpen cover across the front of the boat. Worth the $60.00

My dealer wanted $75 for the bumpers and then probably $75 in shipping, knowing them. I was already feeling the pain from paying them $730 for my bow seat so I declined, thinking I could work out a different solution since I don't have rub rails, but now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone seen any other front bunk protection solutions other than the Bennington parts? 

Some pieces of a swim noodle and some zip ties should fix you up! Less than five bucks.

Swim noodles won't work for long as they will get completely compressed and rip. I made my first set out of a plumbing furnco that I attached to the bunk stops, super easy and kept the carpet from getting chewed up. Unfortunately, my carpet was all chewed up by the time I figured it out! Love walking down every isle in a hardware store, gives me ideas. Here is a pic

Don't forget to take off the metal hose clamp! Haha

Hey, thanks again Todd! One thing I forgot to tell you is i think they changed them a little, or my dealer ordered the wrong thing. If you look at the newer boats where the cleats are it is actually two pieces of aluminum. Hmm, that doesn't make sense. I'll have to get a picture.  Basically, you know how your protectors go completely over the rub rail, mine are two pieces that are more molded directly to the front and just go above and below the shiny rub rail. I'm guessing then the idea is it can't dent it. Yup I'll have to take a pic.

I wonder if anything in my gallery shows it?......

So on this one you can see if you zoom in right at the base of the tower

And you can see it on this pic of my last boat

Not sure if it works as well as Todd's, but it's what I got! :)
Derrick

Yeah, I think you're right. They did change a bit from my 1 piece style stops.   You're should work just fine.  Anything that protrudes out farther on top and bottom will stop the scuffing of the rub rail.  Still loving your tower.  I need one bad!!

Back