Trailer hub spitting grease

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I've been trying to talk to my dealer to figure out what this is and how to deal with it, but as usual, they are ignoring me. Maybe you guys can help. One of the hubs on my 4 month old trailer is spitting out grease. Not a lot, but enough that I'm concerned. It doesn't appear to be missing any parts. Other than the grease it looks just like all the other hubs. I'm taking the boat out to Powell again next week and I don't want to end up broken down on the side of the road during the 300 mile drive to the lake. Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I am not a very mechanical kind of guy so this might be really basic. 

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

It can be normal if it had too much grease in it from the get go but just to make sure I would jack up each side and check the hubs to see if the bearing is loose by pulling and pushing on top and bottom to see if deflection feels excessive from one to another.  Also I would check to see if that brake is dragging a bit, this can cause excessive heat which causes the grease to become more fluid like and seep out like that as well. I have bearing buddies and they are especially prone to this if greased too much too often, I have them on my trailer and it is not uncommon to see grease on all 4 wheels like you have after long hot trips.

Also while it is up spin each one to see if it makes noise or feels rough like a bearing is failing this will get things hot and boil the grease out too.

If things feel ok I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on jacking it up and checking the hubs.

Check it out as stated above, BUT, I would invest in a spare bearing set (greased up)  and keep in a container. Maybe even have a complete hub. Nothing like a failed bearing along the road and no spares. They are pretty cheap insurance.

On a trailer, I think they are almost as important to have a spare set as having a spare tire.

bcpnick, what I would consider and do is bring the trailer where you bought it, let them inspect it and make any corrections.  Express your concern about a future problem or even catastrophe while hauling your boat and ask them who would be responsible if a catastrophe did happen 

Also, if it is a pain to do it through your dealer, any local tire shop would be able to do if you didn't feel like doing it yourself. 

Was this after a long haul, or just a short trip?

Was the trailer in the water for an extended period of time?

You may have a bad seal on that wheel, letting water get into the hub. Water+grease makes the hub overfull of milky thinned out grease.

May be as simple as a piece of debris in the rubber hub cap or plug causing it to not seat properly or it may be nicked or torn. I rule out the wheel seal as the grease is on the outside of the wheel and radiates out from the center even before the open spokes and the rubber cap is greasy as well.

Back