Trailering with the cover on?

Southern R20

Reaction score
Does anyone trailer their boat with the playpen cover on? I've heard arguments both ways.
Getting ready to order a sunbrella full enclosure cover with draw strings underneath the deck and with tie down straps. Cover will be mainly used for outdoor storage. National Boat Cover where I'm purchasing it tells me that it's trailerable with the cover on. But I have my reservations. Looking for real world experience here on the forum.

I left mine on by mistake after picking the boat up from the dealer. I drove 30 miles at a max of 50 mph and an average of say 35 mph and it came out with no rips or tears. But it now fits looser and I have to raise the poles higher to get it tight when I cover it up. I worry I put a lot of stress on the seams that will show up a few years from now.

Bennington states that that it is mooring cover and does not cover damage from towing. You take your chances with the factory mooring cover. Most people have no problems towing with the cover on but it could rip or come unsnapped and cause damage to the boat. Owners choice.
Several years ago, I pulled the boat out of storage. Had a small tear in the 9 year old cover. Started down the road and the top disintegrated into 7 flapping shreds of material. I guess it just dry rotted in the barn that winter.

I tow to/from my covered storage unit with the cover on. Five miles each way. Max speed about 35-40 mph (but mostly 25-30). No problem after a half-dozen times of doing that.

But I don't think I'll ever go long distances at high speed with the cover on. I do plan to get a custom-towing cover some day. I've seen discussions about those.

Never.

I tow to/from my covered storage unit with the cover on. Five miles each way. Max speed about 35-40 mph (but mostly 25-30). No problem after a half-dozen times of doing that.

But I don't think I'll ever go long distances at high speed with the cover on. I do plan to get a custom-towing cover some day. I've seen discussions about those.
This is my practice as well, keep in mind that if it's windy the pontoon stays home anyway.
Keep in mind that this undoubtedly accelerates the wear and shortens the lifespan of the cover. That fact cannot even be debated.

I have trailered mine twice a year for the last 10 years, 30 minutes each leg at 55 mph. That's about 20 hours lifetime on the cover at highway speeds. It has never come off, but the front end has stretched and rain now puddles at the front two corners no matter how tight the first pole is. My cover is now deformed from trailering with it on.

Fortunately it is garaged at the lake, or I'd likely have mold issues from water seeping through the cover where it puddles.

My advice is you will see long term stretching, so remove it on the road. Be sure to remove any seats with a removable cushion. Or strap them down. That would be one use for the "mystery handle" on the S! I've heard of seat cushions blowing out.

Be sure to remove any seats with a removable cushion. Or strap them down. That would be one use for the "mystery handle" on the S! I've heard of seat cushions blowing out.
And table!

I have never towed mine with the cover on. If the cover were to ever come off while towing resulting in an accident among other vehicles, you would be liable.

Back