Trailering

Hey Derrick, Did you notice on the Bennington Pontoon Locators map there is someone hours above you. I didn't notice him at first because he is so far north that it was above my line of vision on the map:

Shawn Talbot

7 Ballantyne Court

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada X1a 2p4

Hello Shawn and welcome aboard. That is one big lake you're on

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL, IN THAT CASE, did I ever tell you guys about the time I went to Churchill? I believe it is still the Polar Bear Capital of the world,so they say. Pretty neat place. Went there for a grade 8 class trip! It was a ridiculous long train ride, I look back now and feel sorry for our teacher! I think there was 25 or so of us and 2 teachers! I'm SURE they had to have a secret stash of booze to get through that week! Went canoeing, saw polar bears at the Polar Bear Jail, yup they have a jail for polar bears! whenever bears come into town they catch them and put them in jail until they can helicopter them a long ways away. They also tag them so if the same bear keeps coming back, they will know and deal with it shall we say. Got to see whales too. Pretty neat place to visit.

Derrick
Derrick, Do to the great Geographic distance between us, this must be kept creative. Therefore, instead of such methods such as blowing in the balloon, walking a straight line and etc., lets start with, "What color were those Polar Bears" ? LOL PS: (Neat story, that train ride trip will be forever memories)

Roland, Thanks for being humble and setting the record straight. Your post could have been taken either way, but your thread WAS high-jacked. Therefore, accountability dictated an apology. Further, having been married to my wife for 49 years, originally from Denham Springs, La., I have learned a lot about Cajuns.....You just never know what is going to set them off !! LOL

Derrick, Do to the great Geographic distance between us, this must be kept creative. Therefore, instead of such methods such as blowing in the balloon, walking a straight line and etc., lets start with, "What color were those Polar Bears" ? LOL PS: (Neat story, that train ride trip will be forever memories)

Roland, Thanks for being humble and setting the record straight. Your post could have been taken either way, but your thread WAS high-jacked. Therefore, accountability dictated an apology. Further, having been married to my wife for 49 years, originally from Denham Springs, La., I have learned a lot about Cajuns.....You just never know what is going to set them off !! LOL
Choot'em Elizabeth !!! He-He-HE :p Gerry

Seriously Roland, to get back to your original post until certain "funny" guys took over :rolleyes: , I ordered a transom support from Ovetons item# 81180 for $ 34.99. On my old Bennington 2575 RFI w/ 2 - 25" pontoons I always lowered my motor to catch the "tabs", but with my new 2575 RCW, it appears the 32" ESP config. sits lower to the ground and I am afraid to lower the motor that low. Haven't tried the Transom support bracket yet, but cannot see it hurting anything. If you do keep it low, remember entering, exiting parking lots, etc. Doesn't take much of a dip to cause some serious motor damage. Gerry

Not a problem... I married a cajun as well 31 years ago, and yep, they can be fiesty at times.... for the record, I'm a yankee... born and raised in the St. Louis area, but I've been working down here since I was a young man, a long long time ago...

Hi guys... well between this forum and one other I frequent, I pretty much got a mixed bag of answers with regard we should use a transom saver when towing our bennys... so I decided to go right to the horses mouth.. sent an email to Bennington and asked them what the companys stance on this was.... got the reply today, they DO recommend the use of transom savers.... I started out to just get an old fashion TS that connects the trailers cross member to the lower unit... but then started reading all this stuff about " trailer shock " where hitting bumps, potholes, actually may damage the gears in the lower unit.. then I looked into the "wedge" devices, like " m-ywedge.com ". But I think the best one I've seen on the market is called motor mate. It has a bracket that actually bolts to the bottom of the lower unit... then the motor mate clips into that with two extension arms that attach to the lower unit. From what I've seen it not only supports the motor, but it also holds rock solid so that it can't tilt from side to side.... only problem is so far on their web site, the smallest yamaha motor there product will fit in a 4 stroke is a 115... I've got a 75. for those of you interested you can check it out at motormate.com At the top of the screen is a tab for youtube videos... It's a bit expensive, I think around $110 or so... If they don't make one that fits a 75, think I'll go with the wedge that fits over the cylinder rod that raises the motor... Weekends almost here, supposed to be in the low to mid 80's this weekend... screw the lawn, I'm going fishing!!!! before I go, in some or your responses, you said you lowered your motors till the "tabs" caught. Can you explain to me what those are.. I've always just trimmed my motor until it was all the way down when towing.

Roland

Last edited by a moderator:
When you look at where your motor 'hinges' there is a little L shaped tab that rotates down and locks into a little notch where it hinges. Trim the motor all the way up and you should be able to rotate it. To be honest, if I remember when I had my 90hp yamaha, I seem to remember it saying in the owners manual that they did NOT recommend towing using this. I could be totally wrong, and I KNOW lots of people do, I'm just saying I think it was in your manual, give it a quick flip through, it will also show you exactly where it is.

Derrick

Note especially for the tri-toon models: Before towing with engine all the way down, check for road clearance. The engines mount considerably lower on the tri-toons and the skeg may be too close to the road. Also, due to the length of some pontoons, the rear end may hit on hills and valleys, driveways and curbs a bit easier because of the longer length from axle to end of pontoon/engine.

Back