trolling motor help "again" dealer no help

Flying Butcher

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed several times {but} I am in need of advise. I called two dealers and never got any good advise " oh lots of choices just go through the sites and select" NO HELP?? Anyway guys got a new 22 cruise and fish coming. These are some of the things I would like in a new trolling motor. Has to be remote control as motor on front and fishing out the back. Would like anchor control. If possible motor can follow the bottom (set at 10 feet and it will follow contour of bottom keeping 10 feet)?? Most like 80# thrust. Do I need 54 or 60 inch shaft. Told to go with Minn Kota. No real need for bluetooth. Any other options you all would suggest? Yes quick release.
Thanks in advance for any assistance guys. New dock will be finished next week. Bass fished for many many years ands till have bass boat. Want tritoon for company to do a little fishin with. Thanks in advance for any help.

I’m eyeing the minn Kota Riptide PowerDrive 70 with ipilot.

I have a Minn Kota Power Drive w/Co-Pilot, 55#, 54" shaft. For me 55# thrust is fine, but 70 or 80 is great if you don't have to haul the batteries.

I have a Minn Kota Power Drive 70 w/iPilot with remote control 60"shaft. It has the anchor function and will network to Hummingbird models that have contour follow feature. The 70 must have 24V so you have two batteries. See my picks for how I set mine up and I love it.

I know this has been discussed several times {but} I am in need of advise. I called two dealers and never got any good advise " oh lots of choices just go through the sites and select" NO HELP?? Anyway guys got a new 22 cruise and fish coming. These are some of the things I would like in a new trolling motor. Has to be remote control as motor on front and fishing out the back. Would like anchor control. If possible motor can follow the bottom (set at 10 feet and it will follow contour of bottom keeping 10 feet)?? Most like 80# thrust. Do I need 54 or 60 inch shaft. Told to go with Minn Kota. No real need for bluetooth. Any other options you all would suggest? Yes quick release.
Thanks in advance for any assistance guys. New dock will be finished next week. Bass fished for many many years ands till have bass boat. Want tritoon for company to do a little fishin with. Thanks in advance for any help.
I was told on a pontoon go with minn Kota ulterra or terrova

If you want all that you will have to pair up the Minn Kota with a Humminbird. And you will want the i-pilot link so the 2 communicate. That will give you either foot pedal or remote control , spot lock(holds you in position) , ability to follow waypoints tracks and follow contours etc. Not cheap but a very slick set up!

It all depends on the features you want/need and your budget. I would recommend going to the Minn Kota site and selecting these models for a side by side compare. Copy and paste this link in your browser and check the boxes to compare:
https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdo...kj1noUB5O_sOEtg3eBBjGR-zJ6QTNIqoaAsrMEALw_wcB

The advantage of the Ulterra and Terranova is that you can go all the way up to 112 Lbs thrust which is 36V ( 3 batteries) or you want the I-Pilot Link. The Powerdrive I have is 24V w/70lbs thrust ( two batteries) and I find it moves the boat very well at a reasonable price point.

I have the minnkota terrova 112# thrust 60 inch shaft with the i pilot link.( has the anchor control) It came with the foot pedal, but I felt that it would get in the way so I only use the remote. I mounted the trolling motor on the front. It's awesome to be able to fish anywhere on the boat and control the motor/toon at the same time. As for the (3) batteries required, I installed them under the front left seat.
I chose the 112# because I didn't want take a gamble on the 80#. As we all know, our toons are heavy and it doesn't take much wind/wake to move us around the lake. I also have a minnkota 40 lb anchor. (deckhand 40). Before I got the trolling motor, that anchor didn't really do much. But with the trolling motor, I will use it occasionally if the wind/wake gets really bad. I also can really get the pontoon moving fast at top speed. I can't remember the MPH, but considering the weight of the toon.

You didn't mention how you were planning on mounting the motor and I know I've seen some other threads asking about mounting locations. I'll post some pictures when I find them, but I basically used a hitch receiver and an adjustable adapter with a minnkota quick release. Works slick. I didn't want to drill any holes into the deck floor or even the side.

As for the fish finder:
I already had a lowrance HDS 7 gen 3, so didn't want to spend anymore. But I know the humminbird syncs up great with minnkota products. But yes, the right humminbird will allow you to have your trolling motor follow the contour of the lake floor.

ZTSw1mT0xXfmPDOZvKmBl7hHxcByiq3NGDKYlRL_qS2ML0XiqwLsJ4nZovs6vO-XnE-9jkQiJXzpDavrkRcUOhYb3zpDzkoMWm9RuSSMNvInEgaoPof4mzrxIjUKrnoyPv5l_MsLUgHviOFrSLO0nGdsFkYQBlhTFxn7AXqA7rVAz8j62nHKvb5VaXRZ6PKa0cvV5IObeHSlow8-5buJQwICEQfjin7-I6zexCIvwGKVmug0h3Dy0BBmXXqtaHH-bC1EuLgrJG93mUnlqAuSCDEJxvnTVoJ9mgB4iB5fcmgbResBHM0zlRgEEf-mEeguXH5y5LbaeARgAi1XBQdBcRfC0Sk2qMMv5EX_mw5-yda0Lz916nLDRIwcrniZyA1B2CtxE8F5sHWAxrpWrqHqnysdEhN_udh9uvAWlA36zTCNXV4rGCKzv7LlHuH6gf22Qf2rn0ZaeYjD50uNyJ38B6DD78lBzYrc3gw1NdTmErUnR2gE7MhT1XBak9QKW3ifNTEAVycrnbOMh_mks7QCH7qLlGuBnvyauZu3U9mIhkuf54pfUGzMCuuFKDrECslmvvzAWSwTxqsQvWYT-SjjOtcLvCPPAJKshR0mL8Q=w434-h769-no
14LBA2DtzMkr4SzawWM_BkEn8Lloy9k8od6fOurODauHPx_9de_JpMNTt0PToUjzM2EDqnycDUWRRpAmjZ9uM1UvvZhzKX64ikykGjWWrm2Cl5qevL1rYkFwxk_O17gaVOjT0VZUcMs5ouBHS5Iy-8aOK3_dSr2FlxwtjDwuG9r2dluUtLWCmK0wJo7t0AmkXXfY0lWNnjy3_67KZBZQ1mRtlMKT77wHJnrbeKvrsKoP5a3_rrEjfPgVxy0ttKk-tcucp6krYBX4QJKIZRsCjAKrUDLdYf2Nf31P1bVYH7wiH6_TCtpb6LTQJQtHn4Td_Y--gMMn0ypJWT98AD9Cj3eqC-Haeq2DrMEKbSpYKoSYhzEXD095WHSIRkLomy3ApEW5UYMUt3igeHZsWUWaoG2v1TACfuHcyi625YjibQVSWlgNUQbNPsCaDvtCsHQ38Pd0Yvw1-DdGJa7jkowR1ykuNMkn3ESx9_XElMqHoMmea8mmllCoU5JBNQ6Wkbx1ZLlz-k_BqdpOc2HK7l5y_uOk1gCaTnpcU6pTMb6nrjpNudPOp-sWenw699CX9pLnvHvg8j3yWMxwjpXWvd0HWq0WDOvYtklwv5-gM0M=w434-h769-no

Attachments

• DSC077982222.png
    DSC077982222.png
    869.1 KB · Views: 37
Can you try these photos again? I can't see them and am interested in your setup

Pictures still are not showing up:(

I see them.

No such luck using a pc or iphone.

20170615_151539.jpg
I'm on a pc. Can you see the pic now?

I can see the one you posted Carl. Thanks! I'd love to see a photo under the deck too!

I posted a pic of under the deck. It's the 10th post to this thread. If anything, sounds like cwag911 was able to repost and then you could see the pic. I will upload the pic again.

Back