Trying to decide between 20SLX or 21SLX...

vikezfan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Not a Bennington owner (yet) but have narrowed down pontoon boat search to either the 20 or 21 SLX.  I know they are pretty similiar with a few minor differences (front seating, back platform size).  Is there anything else thats different?  For those of you that have a 20slx...do you like the large rear platform?  Also we are just using this for cruising (already have a fish n ski)...can I get away with a 40HP or should I start at 50HP?

Just looking for some feedback on either model.  Any help in advice would be great.

Thanks!

I have the SL21 

I initially ordered the Yamaha High Thrust 60HP

After talking to people here on the forum and doing some research on my own

I bought the Yamaha F90 

I have never regretted it

We cruise on our small private lake

But when u add people other than you and the wife

You will notice the difference big time

All I can say is ...

Buy The Biggest Motor You Can Afford 

You will never regret it !

Just my humble opinion 

TRAF_webgraphic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do see that it is about a $3000 MSRP upgrade to move from the 50 to a 90hp motor, about 10% of the boat before you start adding any options but I think it would be worth it.  I would also think that if a dealer has a 21slx in stock you might be surprised what a nice boat you could get for the low to mid $30's

look at my boat specs. I paid $27,398 all in and done. Get the 21slx. You'll never regret having the little bit extra space. Get the 90hp Yamaha and add the under sheeting. The undersheeting can add up to 5MPH and is cheaper than going up in horsepower. It also gives a smoother ride and protects your plywood from getting waterlogged to a degree which would slow you up.

Reactions: KLM
Vikezfan, are you from Minnesota? Go to Miller Marine in St. Cloud for profanely the best price anywhere. We just paid for ours today and will get delivery April 27.

Follow this link on You Tube for a very revealing video of wave action under a pontoon deck

These are all amazing tips...lots I haven't considered!  Does anyone have a 20 slx?  I was wondering if that extra space at the rear deck platform is good or a waste of space.  I noticed that it isn't on the 21 (its a smaller space) but thats also what makes the 21 roomier.  I guess I'm asking because we are planning to do a lot of drifting/swimming off of this boat as well as cruising.  

have them put the G-series ladder and platform off the back. that will give you more room back there plus on the 21SLX, the fencing on the ladder side curves in sooner and gives you more room on that side at the stern too.

20SLX here triple. I agree... Biggest motor the better and in the universes own special way it is cheaper in the back.

I thought the same thing about the platform being a waste of space until I spent a season on it and it's a great spot to separate wet people hanging out on anchor and jumping off the back and the dry people hanging and lounging. It's also a great fishing platform. I looked at both the 21 and the 20 and to me I get the same utility out of the 20z I have the extended front as well and the extended rear. They are used all the time fishing and lounging.

I recently went through the same debate on a 20 or 21. What really sets the 21 apart is it gets you into the "performance" category of being capable of having the SPS w/ a 150hp. If power is not a priority then it makes it a more difficult decision...

There is a relevant cost difference if bow and stern deck space is important to you. I would strongly suggest adding the extended aft if ordering the 21slx. That adds ~$1k msrp to the purchase price on top of the model price difference.

I ended up ordering the 21slx for the performance capabilities.

Trust us, BUY YOUR FIRST BOAT FIRST, right Andy, Nick, Jack, Derrick ????? Go as big and as powerful as your budget allows.

I would recommend taking as many friends and family, as you will be taking on the water, to the dealer and climb on the boat and move around to see if you think it will be too small. Bring a cooler, tube, towels, drinks, etc..... You might think I'm crazy, but space fills up fast !!! 

You PADS guys can chime in on this !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought a 22 with a 115 and lifting strakes and no wave shield, kept it for 3 months and bought a 24 with sps and a 200. As we are a one boat family we needed something that would be comfortable (the first one was) and have some performance for water sports (First one was not) Thus the re order and the perfect boat for our needs. That is my main piece of advise. Truly understand the needs for the boat. Sure it may cost more to add some options but in the end you won't worry about the money spent if you are happy with the product.

Back