Tubing question...

Adam2012

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the "standard" length is for the line used for tubing? I see several on Amazon that are 12ft lengths and they are described as being for "larger boats and pontoons". This will be my first summer in my new boat so any info. on this would be appreciated!!

Most of them are around 60' or so, what your talking about is a tow harness. It has 2 clips that would connect to the u-bolts on the very rear of the boat and give you a place to attach the tube rope onto. If you have the ski pylon you don't need that part. Imagine the 12' rope attached to each rear corner of the boat coming out in a V shape with an attachment point in the middle of the rope. Hope that makes sense! Haha

Hey Adam! 60' is the normal length but I change it depending on who's tubing. Sometimes with little kids I'll shorten the rope cuz I'm pulling them slower and want them to slide over the crest of the wake. If the line is too long and the boat speed is slow, the tubers get caught in the swell between the first and second roller. When that happens, it's tough as a driver to "whip" them out of it. Remember, as the driver, you are in complete control of what kind of ride they get. Start with pulling adults first to get the hang of it if you've never done it. Also, 2 tubes are 10 times more fun than one!! Just remember when towing more than one tube, the ropes have to be identical in length for safety sake. You don't want to wrap a rope around the neck of someone on the short line!!! Unless it's someone you're not fond of! If that's the case, drop the hammer and serpentine B) !!!

Most of them are around 60' or so, what your talking about is a tow harness. It has 2 clips that would connect to the u-bolts on the very rear of the boat and give you a place to attach the tube rope onto. If you have the ski pylon you don't need that part. Imagine the 12' rope attached to each rear corner of the boat coming out in a V shape with an attachment point in the middle of the rope. Hope that makes sense! Haha
Ok now that makes sense!! I DO have the ski pylon so I'm all good now. I went from riding jet skis over the past 10 years to a 24 ft Benny- guess Im gonna need some adjustment time!!

Hey Adam! 60' is the normal length but I change it depending on who's tubing. Sometimes with little kids I'll shorten the rope cuz I'm pulling them slower and want them to slide over the crest of the wake. If the line is too long and the boat speed is slow, the tubers get caught in the swell between the first and second roller. When that happens, it's tough as a driver to "whip" them out of it. Remember, as the driver, you are in complete control of what kind of ride they get. Start with pulling adults first to get the hang of it if you've never done it. Also, 2 tubes are 10 times more fun than one!! Just remember when towing more than one tube, the ropes have to be identical in length for safety sake. You don't want to wrap a rope around the neck of someone on the short line!!! Unless it's someone you're not fond of! If that's the case, drop the hammer and serpentine B) !!!
HAha ok thanks- now I have to see who wants to be my first "test" tuber!!

Ok now that makes sense!! I DO have the ski pylon so I'm all good now. I went from riding jet skis over the past 10 years to a 24 ft Benny- guess Im gonna need some adjustment time!!
No adjustment needed......just put the hammer down!!!! Ha!

Actually we only go between 20-25 mph depending on the age/experience of the rider/s and stay clear of all objects and other boats etc. Safety is of the utmost concern. The same goes for when somebody is skiing or wake boarding or teaching them how to.........

Can't tell you how many times we have had other boats/jet skis follow us when we have a tuber or skier behind the boat. We'll wave them off or pull to the side and let them go..........

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the special tubing ropes were 65' long. Anyway it goes, pulling tubers is a very dangerous proposition.

We have had a couple of serious injuries on our lake where tubers had very light ski ropes tied to their tubes. In a tight turn, the tubers can double the speed of the tow boat, and the pressure on the rope is tremendous.

Unfortunately, when a rope breaks, there is absolutely no control over the tube and the riders. Our neighbor's 16 year old daughter broad sided a boathouse, and she was in the hospital for months. And she came out a different person.

By all means, protect your riders by using a very high test rope, preferably a 1/2" rope that will stand up to the rigors of tubing.

Bamaman is absolutely right. Proper gear is essential in any form of water sports. Overton's has a specific line just for tubes. I have purchesed them and they hook up nicely to the tubes and the quality is great. I inspect my lines everytime we ski or tube. I snapped a line slalom skiing once right in the middle of a hard cut and it darn near knocked me out. Hardest fall I ever took!! That 16 year old that hit the boat house was a victim of poor boat driving. No excuse for that!! We have this clown on our lake that stands up driving a Sea Doo jet boat and faces backwards when pulling his kids on the tubes. He glances over his shoulder once in a while to see where he's going! We're on a small lake and bad things can happen fast. I never towed anyone with a pontoon boat. My concern would be how fast I could get back to my skier if injured. I would practice that move before I dragged anyone behind it.

The boat will turn very flat. On our other toon with the 90 if you max a turn the toons disrupt the water and the prop will suck air. A big issue is sudden stops. With the couches there is nothing to hang on to in a sudden stop and I had to learn to give a warning if possible.

Thanks so much- awesome info!!!

The boat will turn very flat. On our other toon with the 90 if you max a turn the toons disrupt the water and the prop will suck air. A big issue is sudden stops. With the couches there is nothing to hang on to in a sudden stop and I had to learn to give a warning if possible.
No adjustment needed......just put the hammer down!!!! Ha!

Actually we only go between 20-25 mph depending on the age/experience of the rider/s and stay clear of all objects and other boats etc. Safety is of the utmost concern. The same goes for when somebody is skiing or wake boarding or teaching them how to.........

Can't tell you how many times we have had other boats/jet skis follow us when we have a tuber or skier behind the boat. We'll wave them off or pull to the side and let them go..........
Bamaman is absolutely right. Proper gear is essential in any form of water sports. Overton's has a specific line just for tubes. I have purchesed them and they hook up nicely to the tubes and the quality is great. I inspect my lines everytime we ski or tube. I snapped a line slalom skiing once right in the middle of a hard cut and it darn near knocked me out. Hardest fall I ever took!! That 16 year old that hit the boat house was a victim of poor boat driving. No excuse for that!! We have this clown on our lake that stands up driving a Sea Doo jet boat and faces backwards when pulling his kids on the tubes. He glances over his shoulder once in a while to see where he's going! We're on a small lake and bad things can happen fast. I never towed anyone with a pontoon boat. My concern would be how fast I could get back to my skier if injured. I would practice that move before I dragged anyone behind it.
I have had good luck with this rope:

http://www.bartswate...eeper/index.asp

We have been pulling tubes for years and I like the big thick rope. The thin rope is fine with kids, but before you know it you will have two tubes out there with a bunch of older kids or adults on them.
I was thinking the special tubing ropes were 65' long. Anyway it goes, pulling tubers is a very dangerous proposition.

We have had a couple of serious injuries on our lake where tubers had very light ski ropes tied to their tubes. In a tight turn, the tubers can double the speed of the tow boat, and the pressure on the rope is tremendous.

Unfortunately, when a rope breaks, there is absolutely no control over the tube and the riders. Our neighbor's 16 year old daughter broad sided a boathouse, and she was in the hospital for months. And she came out a different person.

By all means, protect your riders by using a very high test rope, preferably a 1/2" rope that will stand up to the rigors of tubing.
Thanks so much- awesome info!!!

I have had good luck with this rope:

http://www.bartswate...eeper/index.asp

We have been pulling tubes for years and I like the big thick rope. The thin rope is fine with kids, but before you know it you will have two tubes out there with a bunch of older kids or adults on them.
I think our rope is rated at 4000 or 4500 lbs and rated for up to 4 riders. I think it was $20 or $25. That rope you posted for $30 is a very good price.

For those new to tubing, remember, you're not going to pay a LOT less for 60 feet of rope anyway, so you might as well get the right one.

And for those that don't know, tying a knot in a rope (such as to shorten it) knocks the strength of the rope in half. Another reason to get a strong rope if you think you are going to try and shorten it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, here's another thing to watch for when tubing, rogue waves! When your doing a quick turn or whatever, always be watching a little in the distance to see what wave is coming off a wakeboarding boat in the distance or wherever. Depending on who's riding the tube, it can either be fun, or a recipe for sleeping on the couch! It's amazing sometimes when you do a couple 360's and your pulling them out of a turn and counter steering to get a good whip and a wake comes and throws them in the air!! One of the best things to learn how to do first is practice getting the tuber in and out if the wake! It's a lifesaver! Literally! It's when they're out of your wake that you have to pay serious attention to the waves coming in from all around you. Just from my experience, well and the Brother in Law's!! Haha MAN did he fly!!

Just ordered a new Bennington with pull up ski pylon. Standard height is 46", but there is an option for a higher 52" high pylon. I assume the higher pylon may benefit the Wake Boarders. Has anyone experienced any issues with either height.

I believe the taller one is made for a Verado because it's a taller motor.

I'm curious to see how the ski tow bar on our next one will work with the 200.

Yes, the taller one is for the V8's and Verados. I ordered the taller one with this boat. No real benefit over the 46" I had on my last one. Both easily cleared the 200hp Yamaha. 

Back