Tying Ropes to Ski Pylon

skipperbill

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but that's the beauty of this forum, everyone is pretty forgiving. So, my previous pontoon had the split clips and single slider behind the outboard. For the waverunner, I would just attach the tubing or ski rope to the towing eye with a D-ring. Now that I have the ski pylon, I'm curious how the ropes are to be attached to it...slip knot? I assume most ropes just have the closed loop like mine has but this seems a little loose and could easily slide down or even come off. Little enlightenment anyone?

Your right, there's no stupid question except for the one you don't ask. If your rope has the closed eye, simply use it as the slip by pulling the rope back thru the eye to make a loop, then slide over pylon and pull tight. Wish I could draw a picture as its kind of hard to explain. Let me know if you need a better description.

That makes perfect sense even without the drawings. Thanks! Question answered!

I just slip it over, it has never fallen down yet. Never even close. Especially when there is any tension on the rope it won't leave the notch in the pylon, actually, even when there isn't any tension and the tube is just floating beside the toon. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be attentive when you're first getting someone out, which you should be anyway and you won't have a problem.

Thanks for the info...I was wondering the same thing. Haven't been tubing or skiing yet since water is a bit cool, that should be picking up soon. Should be a wild ride on our tritoon with the 250 Yamaha!!

The most secure procedure to attach a tow rope to the ski pylon is first place the loop end over the top of the pole and into the notch. Now grab the end loop end of the line and pull it forward so the line crotch or " v" section of the line is pulled tightly against the ski pole notch. No twist the loop end in your hand over (1/2 rotation), that that twisted loop and push it over the top of the pylon and into the notch. You now have the original loop in the notch and atop of that the twisted loop. This secures line from pooping off or sliding down while allowing it to move freely side to side. With large diameter tow rope (4 to 6 person weight) it can be a chore to push that second loop over the pole, but it will go and once over the top the notch will allow it to move.

I would not suggest just placing the loop over the pole, while under tension the rope will stay in the notch but with active tubing over wakes & such it is possible for the loop to drop or rise out of the notch. Most tow lines come with a diagram that shows the double loop attachment I tried to explain.

Good explanation dmctruby, think I understand but just to be sure could you please expand on the phrase "pooping off"

Haha! I totally missed that one!!

Back