Underwater dock lights

Duckgrinder

Reaction score
WOW I was looking at these today to mount on my dock piles to go with the lights on my boat, they are really proud of these. Does anyone have the LED lights on their dock? I have a few questions on these. They look really cool but man, I didn't expect that.

Yes, I purchased the DeepGlow lights for my dock and they are awesome. Water depth at my dock is about 11 feet and it is really neat to see the glow up into the trees at the end of my dock. They really attract fish and it is fun to just sit and watch them. Gerry

Gerry, which ones did did tou get?

I got the green lights Link. Our water is murky and they have a very informative Q&A section that covers lighting colors for particular situations. The light output and brilliance is amazing. Gerry

I was looking at the surface mount style LED lights so I could mount them on the pilings of my dock so the light will shine out. What I am finding it looks like prices just for the lights. How do I power them? What is the cost for the transformer? Can I just use an old landscape light transformer since they are both low voltage?

I have 3 of the Deepglow lights in an arc formation across the waterfront between the docks and the raft. Our water is crystal clear with about a 10' visibility. I bought my first one 4 years ago, then added one in each of the following 2 years because they're expensive. I have the green color and they are absolutely stunning!! Everybody on the lake loves them! Just to clarify for those that aren't familiar with these, they are 150W metal halide bulbs not LED's. They have an electronic ballast which makes them cheap to operate. I dive down and wipe the lenses twice during the summer, but it honestly does not make a difference.They light up the entire waterfront as well as the house and trees. Great people to work with at Deepglow. Had a ballast problem with one and they fixed it for no charge over a year after I bought it. Extremely impressive lighting!! Tried the blue bulb, but it appears more white than blue. The green is wicked!!

I did some reading on the difference between the two. What are your operating cost with three of them and how long do the bulbs last?

I have 3 of the Deepglow lights in an arc formation across the waterfront between the docks and the raft. Our water is crystal clear with about a 10' visibility. I bought my first one 4 years ago, then added one in each of the following 2 years because they're expensive. I have the green color and they are absolutely stunning!! Everybody on the lake loves them! Just to clarify for those that aren't familiar with these, they are 150W metal halide bulbs not LED's. They have an electronic ballast which makes them cheap to operate. I dive down and wipe the lenses twice during the summer, but it honestly does not make a difference.They light up the entire waterfront as well as the house and trees. Great people to work with at Deepglow. Had a ballast problem with one and they fixed it for no charge over a year after I bought it. Extremely impressive lighting!! Tried the blue bulb, but it appears more white than blue. The green is wicked!!
I agree. I have two of the green lights and simply pull them up when not in use or to clean them. I just toss the lights where I want them. My biggest concern is with the number of fishermen who show up when they are on. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
They definately attrack the fisherman. So far, if we're outside or on the dock, they don't hang out there. I have a much bigger problem with the fisherman on a hot day when my daughters are on the dock or raft swimming and laying in the sun!! The bulbs will get dull with age. I replaced the oldest one last year because it was noticable. Bulbs are about $35 each. I just stared at my electric bills, and it's hard to really pinpoint operating costs. I think we're in the $20 - $40 range. I know that's a big spread, but it's really hard to judge. I changed the cycle last Summer which brought it closer to 20. They go every night whether we're there or not, from dusk to 1:00AM. Deepglow wants them to run longer for the self cleaning aspect, but I don't want to be annoying with them. I initially had them coming back on from 4:30 to 7:00 AM cuz I liked waking up to them. Deepglow didn't think the extra start-stop per day was a good idea so I quit. I run the lights from May to Thanksgiving, then I pull them for the Winter. They are in about 8' of water, 45' from shore. The house is 30' from the water, and it lights the whole inside of the house up, because there's alot of glass facing the lake. Terry took some pictures last Summer from the boat which were cool! I'll try to post them if I can find them.

Yes Jimmy, I agree. I know my fishing buddies don't like to hear this, however, like in any hobby, activity, etc. a few bad ones ruin it for everyone. It Is not fun to step on a hook that a passing fisherman has miscast and left on your dock. However these lights are to say the least "very impressive" . Gerry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Jimmy, I agree. I know my fishing buddies don't like to hear this, however, like in any hobby, activity, etc. a few bad ones ruin it for everyone. It Is not fun to step on a hook that a passing fisherman has miscast and left on your dock. However these lights are to say the least "very impressive" . Gerry.
Gerry, not to hijack this thread, but how do you like you power Bimini?

Wow, these are really cool. I've got to get me some of these.

Gerry, not to hijack this thread, but how do you like you power Bimini?
I love my powertop. I feel one of the best options you can get on a boat. Absolutely hated climbing over furniture and putting the top up and down. Docking on a windy day or pulling into my boathouse I can lower and raise the top with a simple push of the button. Very nice. Gerry

I went to the web site and I am concerned about the voltage at the lights. I am always leery of having 120 volts in the water, even on a GFCI. I think if this was a 120 volt to lower voltage set-up they would point it out. If it boosts voltage I would not consider it, too much liability. Steve

I love my powertop. I feel one of the best options you can get on a boat. Absolutely hated climbing over furniture and putting the top up and down. Docking on a windy day or pulling into my boathouse I can lower and raise the top with a simple push of the button. Very nice. Gerry
Great, thanks!

I went to the web site and I am concerned about the voltage at the lights. I am always leery of having 120 volts in the water, even on a GFCI. I think if this was a 120 volt to lower voltage set-up they would point it out. If it boosts voltage I would not consider it, too much liability. Steve
Well, you have to be comfortable with any situation to enjoy it. My son won't ride a snowmobile on the lake with 20" of ice on it!! Even when the ice fisherman park their trucks on it!! I do understand your concern and sympathize your feelings regarding safety. However, in my small mind, I feel I have a better chance of getting hit in the head with falling space junk, than being shocked with this set-up! I rarely swim at night first of all. And you can always shut them off. With that said, Deepglow does not recommend swimming near the lamps. Always test your GFI circuits when living around pools and water in general. The lamps themselves are built to the hilt. And the o-ring seals are major. You would have to have a series of catastrophic failures to end up in the dire situation of concern here. But Steve really, with that concern you have, they are probably not for you. You have to be comfortable.

Sweet T, we've had quite a few deaths on our local lakes because of 120 volts in the water, mostly dock wiring. I am a master electrician and I would like to use a 120 volt pump to use in my "thermocline inverter" but even with GFCI, can't bring myself to do it. Unlike your set-up, this would involve being in the water with it. Since you are not in the water with yours, you have my blessing...if that's worth anything. Steve

Sweet T, we've had quite a few deaths on our local lakes because of 120 volts in the water, mostly dock wiring. I am a master electrician and I would like to use a 120 volt pump to use in my "thermocline inverter" but even with GFCI, can't bring myself to do it. Unlike your set-up, this would involve being in the water with it. Since you are not in the water with yours, you have my blessing...if that's worth anything. Steve
Steve,

Yes, we've had some as well. Shore power is probably worth a new thread, but I sure wish you were close to my place. I have wrestled mightily with this issue while I rework my dock and boat lift setup for the new Benny. I've talked to some very experienced local to our lakes electricians about it and get very different answers on grounding, shore configuration and dock wiring, codes, etc. It makes me crazy. We do have a really good master electrician who has done great work at our primary home (worth every extra penny) but even he isn't so sure about how to do a seasonal dock setup like ours. In any event, after the right setup, proper maintenance and regular inspection/testing is obviously still crucial to safety.

Tom

Tom, the "national electrical code" NEC has very definite guidelines for marine wiring. This will guide any competent electrician. Just remember, electricians are like doctors, etc., you have good ones and bad ones, (or just incompetent). Later in the season I'm sure everyone would like to see pics. Thanks, Steve

Back