Vibration When In Neutral

Joseph Camilleri

Reaction score
I have a 2015, 22ft, pontoon and between 600-1000 rpm while in neutral there is a vibration where the motor mounts to the pontoon frame. The engine is a Yamaha 90hp. If I simply, increase throttle to above 1000 rpm while in neutral sound lessens and eventually goes away. Boat runs fine while in gear and as long as RPM is >1000 rpm no issues. Anyone else had this problem and do you know what the fix is?

Welcome, Joe! Sorry, but I can't help you out with your situation but hopefully someone who can will chime in.

I think you should call your dealer.

Sorry I can’t answer that either. I think a call to your dealer is warranted.

Are you saying you get a noise/vibration that’s not visible in the motor, or the motor has a visible vibration till you increase rpms? Is the motor FI or carbureted?

I have a 2015, 22ft, pontoon and between 600-1000 rpm while in neutral there is a vibration where the motor mounts to the pontoon frame. The engine is a Yamaha 90hp. If I simply, increase throttle to above 1000 rpm while in neutral sound lessens and eventually goes away. Boat runs fine while in gear and as long as RPM is >1000 rpm no issues. Anyone else had this problem and do you know what the fix is?
Check your mounting bolts on the transom, you may have one that worked loose.

I had a similar issue with a 115 Yamaha, below 1000 rpm there was a slight vibration while in gear. I changed props and that helped some but it never caused an issue and never went away.

Prop rattle maybe?

If you're sure it's at the transom mount, the nuts maybe never got torqued down.

He stated it's in Neutral.

Back