Vinyl Coat for seats

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
Our other toon's cover was not waterproof and we had a big mold problem. We replaced the cover and stopped the mold growth but the seats were stained and the top layer of the vinyl had gone bad. Have lived with the looks while looking for a reasonable solution without replacing all the vinyl. I have purchased a 3 step product by SEM Marine called Vinyl Coat. You use their soap and scrub hard to get the dirt and light staining out of the vinyl. Use their vinyl prep to soften and degrease the vinyl. You spray on the Vinyl Coat out of a aerosol can. Like body work it is a lot of prepping and a little spraying. The can does not go very far for coverage but it looks good. We had rain this morning and the water was beading on the new surface which I hope means the vinyl is sealed. We are leaving for Canada this Friday and I will have a report on how it wears after a week of fishing. The white in the pictures is the new coated vinyl. The original color was cream so a big difference but the pics show the staining on the old vinyl. I purchased it from an auto parts store that was listed on the SEM Marine web site. Used 2 cans of coat to do 2 seats and seat-backs of loungers and the back of the drivers chair. Guessing will use 6 to 8 more cans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, and have fun on your trip.

Remediation.............you can get those little mildew lookin stains out of your vinyl seats. I know because I've done it many times in both boats I've owned......Over the years I've used combinations of a little bleach and water in a spray bottle. 10-1, 8-1, water to bleach. (I've even used Tilex mildew remover) I just spray it on and watch it disappear. Then use another spray bottle w/ clean water give it a little rinse and wipe it w/a clean towel. Then of course treat it w/303 protectant and my seats still look brand new and it's a 2004.......................Have a safe trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, does look like new

We had used Simple Green to clean the seats years ago and it took the top coat off the vinyl. We used 303 afterwards but it is not a sealant and we never could stop the mold. The new cover has made a big difference and now we use Shockwave that is a fungicide that doesn't harm the vinyl or carpet.

The SEM vinyl dyes (which I believe is the third step in your process) are also available online in many colors. Shouldn't be too hard to match the cream color. I believe I have a SEM color chart buried somewhere, I'll let you know if I can dig it up this weekend.

The SEM vinyl dyes (which I believe is the third step in your process) are also available online in many colors. Shouldn't be too hard to match the cream color. I believe I have a SEM color chart buried somewhere, I'll let you know if I can dig it up this weekend.
Thanks. There are 25 colors. This is more of a vinyl paint/coating than a dye. I did not try to match the cream because I knew it would not match. The colors are factory colors like sea ray blue, carver white. The first seats were an experiment. If it lasts, I will probably go with a darker color to hide the dirt.

Well, I found my sample chart and took it out to the seats on my 2002. Strangely it looks like 15103 Super White is the closest match. Might be worth a look.

Is there any substitute for 303 protectant, can't find it ANYWHERE?

Back