Vinyl Stains

PonBenny

Reaction score
We just purchased our first Bennington 20SL (Brand New) and we are noticing the vinyl stains very quickly. We cover the boat all week long and on the weekend, we will cover it immediately if it is going to rain or if bad weather is in the area. We have stains on our vinyl already from air born stuff like a leaf or bug or twig etc. The stains are deep in the vinyl already and we don't know how or if we can get them out. We tried a few spots with some typical vinyl cleaner but nothing gets removed. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Welcome PD Hughes. there are numerous threads on this; just type "Vinyl Stains" in the search engine and you will see some great information

Welcome to the party. Give the Magic Erasure a try but be sure to thoroughly rinse and use 303 protectant.

I continue to fight boathouse ceiling spiders. I wish Bennington would find a company that can put a vinyl stain in an aerosol custom matched to their colors.

My Ivory seats are about as light in color as white. I've bought enough tan canvas online to make seat covers for less than $75, excluding transportation. The mooring cover is just too hard to handle in a boathouse, and we use the boat too often to go thru the hassle.

Time to get out the sewing machine. This is why my wife and I went to upholstery school.

Magic Erasers works great .... Just remember, gentle use, don't go at it for 10 minutes in one spot !! Like Carl said, rinse n protect afterwards .....

L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner at the Dollar store..............

I used 303 Saturday, Sunday noticed a spot (bug juice or something) on the rear lounger and not all of it came up. I'll have to try the magic eraser.

I used 303 Saturday, Sunday noticed a spot (bug juice or something) on the rear lounger and not all of it came up. I'll have to try the magic eraser.
\Did you try the 303 cleaner ,or just the protector ?

Magic Eraser does work well, but just use it very sparingly as it IS a micro-abrasive material. Repeated use on a coated vinyl can't be good.

I would try and dilute it. If you can clean it using 1/2 strength I would bet that it would be less caustic on your vinyl and make it last longer. TA is great cleaner. But sometimes the better or stronger the cleaner is the more harsh it is. Just make sure you wipe it down with water as with any cleaner. You don't want to end up with a chemical burn on the vinyl from left offer cleaner and the power of the sun

Yup I agree w/Gee. Dilute it.........there is actually a table on the larger bottles advising you of dilution rates. But since I turned 50 I need an electron microscope to see it. Ha!

where is the best place to buy the 303 vinyl products?

I'm bad.  I use Awesome AND Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.  But it still won't get those little red pinhead spider spots off my Ivory seats.

Beware:  Awesome is also a micro abrasive.  I've been using it for years on my travel trailer to get rid of black streaks, and now the trailer needs painting.

I still would like the option of using a vinyl stain--if someone would custom mix such a product.

I would try and dilute it. If you can clean it using 1/2 strength I would bet that it would be less caustic on your vinyl and make it last longer. TA is great cleaner. But sometimes the better or stronger the cleaner is the more harsh it is. Just make sure you wipe it down with water as with any cleaner. You don't want to end up with a chemical burn on the vinyl from left offer cleaner and the power of the sun
Hmmmm

Saw something somewhere that the guy uses isopropyl on a rag to remove stains on his vinyl boat seats? 3rd party info and I never tried it but anything is possible!

Back