water/fuel separator

Hi 1Blderbob,

If I may ask, why would you add Stabile 360 to each tank of fuel?  Does it have something to do with ethanol? I fully understand adding it when the boat will be out of use for a bit, but while your using weekly, what is the benefit?  

As TomS also stated in previous quote.You get natural condensation happening in your fuel tanks. That being said;my boat stays at Ocean City Md. 365 days a year. The humidity is very high and I don't take any chances with water in the fuel. Stabil 365 takes care of any moisture in the fuel. And yes it also treats ethanol in the gas at the same time. I feel its cheap insurance!

azray007 asked what a Racor is.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/52237F/gasoline-spin-on-fuel-filter-water-separator-320r-rac-01.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=CMr3x8KYr80CFQ6LaQod3XIMnA

I put one on my 115. The dealer checked with Merc engineers and they were good with it provided I removed one of 2 under cowl filters. I can't remember if it was the low or high pressure one. Pretty sure it was the low pressure one, but check with your dealer to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
On our G the fuel/water filter is under the rear port lounger seat bottom.  If you have the factory installed filter system it would look like this.  The blue part is the filter element and the black is the mounting base for the filter.  Your fuel lines should be attached to this as an "in" port and an "out" port.

img13399.jpg

There is also a small fuel filter on our 150 (under the cowling) that sits vertical in front of the motor but it is just a cartridge style filter inside a plastic threaded housing.  It looks something like this one.

yam-6p3-24560-22-00.jpg

The cartridge filter looks like this.....might be a shade different on other sizes of outboards.  Some are flat on top with a sealing o-ring others have a neck on them like the one shown.

47-79799.jpg

Glad you found it.  

We change out the filter (blue part) once a year.....just to be safe.   Normally that's part of the winterizing process our dealer does for us at the end of the season.  Lower unit oil - oil and filter change - fuel conditioner/stabil - fuel filter is all in that package.

We put quite a few hours on our boat even though we are boating in Ohio.  Just the start of 3rd year and we have over 260 hours on the yami 150 already.  I'm sure you year round boaters have even more than that on your boats but for our short Ohio season we aren't doing to bad.

Back