water/fuel separator

times

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2013 Bennington 22 sslx with a sport tube package yamaha 115.

I was wonder it came installed with a factory installed water/fuel separator?

I have looked everywhere top a bottom and do not see one.

Where would it be? And should I have one installed?

Follow the line from the motor.

You can only see the about a foot of the line from the motor and it goes under the deck.

Then I'm guessing you don't have one. Do you have a pic of the area?

On our G the fuel/water filter is under the rear port lounger seat bottom.  If you have the factory installed filter system it would look like this.  The blue part is the filter element and the black is the mounting base for the filter.  Your fuel lines should be attached to this as an "in" port and an "out" port.

img13399.jpg

There is also a small fuel filter on our 150 (under the cowling) that sits vertical in front of the motor but it is just a cartridge style filter inside a plastic threaded housing.  It looks something like this one.

yam-6p3-24560-22-00.jpg

The cartridge filter looks like this.....might be a shade different on other sizes of outboards.  Some are flat on top with a sealing o-ring others have a neck on them like the one shown.

47-79799.jpg

You installed a new one or replaced the filter? 

Looks like a Racor. I installed one on my 2010. Still on the fence about the new boat. The 2010 had the tank on deck level under the rear compartment. New boat has the tank in the aft of the center tube.

I think of it as cheap insurance ... the way I look at it there are 2 possible options:

Me, 2 years from now:

1.  I spent $40K+ on a new boat, sure feel like I wasted a couple hundred on the water/fuel separator that hasn't helped me at all (or maybe it has and I don't know it.)

2.  Me, stuck in the middle of the lake wondering where I'm going to find someone to tow me home because my engine died.

I like option 1, and will never have any regrets about adding a pretty cheap (in the scheme of things) safety/reliability option.  But I tend to be pretty risk averse and can't stand the thought of being stuck somewhere, dead in the water.  I live on a very large lake and there's no way I want to be stuck somewhere if I can reasonably reduce that chance.

My 2 cents, FWIW...

Mine was installed by the dealer, and it's in the changing room, on the side wall under the gas fill tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm new to outboards, are you adding fuel/water separator with one already in existence or did your boat come without one?  I would be surprised if it didn't have one; I thought that was a requirement from the outboard manufacturer.  If your adding second one, why?  Also, what a Racor?  Is that a brand of water/fuel separator or does it do something else entirely?

Thanks for helping with my ignorance! 

I can't speak for the other motor manuf. . The Etech's fuel filter in the motor is a water separator and filter combo that has a sensor to warn of water in the fuel. But I also have all the fuel prefiltered. through another factory installed separator/filter at the back of the boat.Not to mention that every gallon of fuel i use has Stabil 360 added to it. And both filters are replaced every spring. Figure I'm covered.

That's what I was wondering as well azray, thought all outboards came with a water separator. 

Maybe the older ones didn't.  I think I remember CWag saying his boat was an 06, not sure if he meant 19 or 20

That's what I was wondering as well azray, thought all outboards came with a water separator. 

Maybe the older ones didn't.  I think I remember CWag saying his boat was an 06, not sure if he meant 19 or 20

Funny Link. Yes, my Honda has a small water separator under the cowl with a sensor for an alarm. Boat will be 10 years old June 30th.

I can't speak for the other motor manuf. . The Etech's fuel filter in the motor is a water separator and filter combo that has a sensor to warn of water in the fuel. But I also have all the fuel prefiltered. through another factory installed separator/filter at the back of the boat.Not to mention that every gallon of fuel i use has Stabil 360 added to it. And both filters are replaced every spring. Figure I'm covered.

Hi 1Blderbob,

If I may ask, why would you add Stabile 360 to each tank of fuel?  Does it have something to do with ethanol? I fully understand adding it when the boat will be out of use for a bit, but while your using weekly, what is the benefit?  

Good question, azray. I have the auxiliary w/f sep., for I only use 100% gas. Why, unless you use ethanol, would you need to add the additive?  

I only use corn free fuel ,I also add additives .You never know what may be  ( or has been)  in the underground tank 

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the fuel, you can always have moisture in the tank(s) due to condensation, bad fuel, etc so the water separator makes sense as a safeguard. Some engines already have one onboard, such as Verado, such that an external one can actually make the onboard one not work properly due to fuel pressure/flow requirements, so Merc used to say not to add another. That said, on offshore and multi-engine setups you almost always see high quality external ones like clear Racors with drains, because they're so much easier to service frequently and they go through much more fuel.

Back