water in pontoon

Hunterleej

Reaction score
06 Bennington......keep it on a lift in my boat house......usually out on the water no more than 4 hrs at a time.......go out about once every 2 weeks...live in Eastern N.C (river)........as soon as we get back from our outing, I put her in the boat house and lift her.......I have noticed lately a little drip continues when all other drips have stopped.....it will drip one drop at a time for about 4 hours and stop........I don't notice any tilting, or sluggishness, etc. whatsoever....I don't hear any water in there sloshing around....it is on the starboard side about 3/4 way towards the back....it handles perfectly......Is this something I should spend bunches of money on to get checked out or should I continue until I notice a difference in the way she handles?....Thanks

Sounds like a tube leak to me. Never had one myself, but seems like only wet carpet or a leak in a pontoon would act like this. The dye is a good idea to find the leak, then have someone look at it and give you an opinion as to weather it would get worse or not. You didn't mention how long it's been doing this. If it's been doing it for years, you probably have the choice of just letting it do this until it gets worse or you get rid of the boat. My two cents. Good luck.

Where is it dripping from? Like Kay said.....it could be coming from the wet carpet from your lift or I was thinking from the water that accumulates in your lifting strakes unless they're sealed. You said it handles fine........ Unless you notice your boat listing to one side or hear water sloshing around in there I wouldn't worry about it just yet.....

If you get it checked out be sure to have someone that is familar with pontoons. They need to be checked at a real low pressure of about 8 psi or less. I have seen someone blow the front of the pontoon open useing 80 psi air to check for leaks. I would diffintly get it checked out. It could be a weld leaking and with the right amout of stress from waves it could crack open and fill quickly.

Bennington fixed a leak in my 05 2875 under warranty last year. I would contact Bennington and see where you can take it and have it fixed under warranty. With my boat, I put it on the trailer than had my wife roll forward slowly then slam on the brakes. You could hear the water sloshing around in the tube,

Back