Water spots hate vinegar! I love vinegar!

goldnrod24

Reaction score
You probably already knew that, but if not, now you do!

I keep one of those pump up garden sprayers with the wand full of white vinegar (can't remember if I diluted it or not).

My motor, stainless rub rails, ladder  and ski tow bar look new again! What a product!

I use a 50/50 blend. Works awesome!!!! I just use an old spray bottle though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Boat Bling Hot Sauce. Works great! We wipe the boat down after every trip on the water.

My entire house has hard wood floors. The company that installed them recommended 25% vinegar to 75% water in a spray bottle to clean and maintain them. That's it!

Yes, I knew that but thanks for the reminder! My black Merc has a serious case of water spots! Looks like I'll be adding a spray bottle full of the mixture to the on-board boat supplies.

My entire house has hard wood floors. The company that installed them recommended 25% vinegar to 75% water in a spray bottle to clean and maintain them. That's it!

Thanks for the tip.  I'm having all my flooring ripped out this later month and all new "real" hardware flooring going in.

Yes, I knew that but thanks for the reminder! My black Merc has a serious case of water spots! Looks like I'll be adding a spray bottle full of the mixture to the on-board boat supplies.

I keep and use a 50/50 mix to clean the occasional water spots on the cowls. I also use a quick detailer every time I put it up for the night, just to make sure it's clean and dry before I put the canvas cover on the engine. Long term, Ultimate Paint Guard Plus treatment keeps the water rolling off for several months, so I don't get too many lingering hard to clean hard water spots in the first place.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm having all my flooring ripped out this later month and all new "real" hardware flooring going in.

First recommendation, DON'T go dark. We love our dark hardwood, but it shows every speck of dust and dirt. We have 2 cats and a dog, and by the end of the day there's a new fur creature rolling around the house. My wife keeps "Swiffer" in business.... :wacko:

First recommendation, DON'T go dark. We love our dark hardwood, but it shows every speck of dust and dirt. We have 2 cats and a dog, and by the end of the day there's a new fur creature rolling around the house. My wife keeps "Swiffer" in business.... :wacko:

Ha! We have dark hardwood floors and we keep the dust mop and vinegar companies in business! It's just the two of us so keeping it clean is not a problem. It does show EVERYTHING  though! 

What kind of hardwood are you having installed?!? We were going to get bamboo but we decided to get red oak stained and finished on site with 3 coats of polyurethane. So many choices.

I'm thinking Seagrass for the living room/hallway/bedrooms!

;-)

What kind of hardwood are you having installed?!? We were going to get bamboo but we decided to get red oak stained and finished on site with 3 coats of polyurethane. So many choices.

I installed about 800' of bamboo in the house we just sold. Be aware there are many different kinds, hardnesses, and finishes of bamboo. We loved the look, but it scratched easily. Fortunately it was on a low traffic lower level. We did red oak strip, finished in place with almost clear polyurethane in both houses and it wears like iron. The lake house floors are 15+ years old and still look great, even with sand, dogs, kids, guests, etc. You just have to pay attention to sun fading with lots of windows. They can be re-sanded or just new top coat, which I think is a huge advantage if you're staying for the long term.

I installed about 800' of bamboo in the house we just sold. Be aware there are many different kinds, hardnesses, and finishes of bamboo. We loved the look, but it scratched easily. Fortunately it was on a low traffic lower level. We did red oak strip, finished in place with almost clear polyurethane in both houses and it wears like iron. The lake house floors are 15+ years old and still look great, even with sand, dogs, kids, guests, etc. You just have to pay attention to sun fading with lots of windows. They can be re-sanded or just new top coat, which I think is a huge advantage if you're staying for the long term.

The bamboo we were going to get supposedly was hard as a rock and didn't scratch (Right!) We had the red oak stained Jacobean. It's a dark shade but after having medium floors in our other house we wanted something different. It's kinda funny you mentioned the fading. When we sold our house in Va. we moved the rug that the dining room set was on, the floor was pristine under the rug and so faded around it. The buyers never said anything.

The bamboo we were going to get supposedly was hard as a rock and didn't scratch (Right!) We had the red oak stained Jacobean. It's a dark shade but after having medium floors in our other house we wanted something different. It's kinda funny you mentioned the fading. When we sold our house in Va. we moved the rug that the dining room set was on, the floor was pristine under the rug and so faded around it. The buyers never said anything.

We had the exact same thing when we sold our house. We moved a 9x12 rug that had been there awhile and it was much darker, so we just let them keep the rug and all was good ;-)

I keep and use a 50/50 mix to clean the occasional water spots on the cowls. I also use a quick detailer every time I put it up for the night, just to make sure it's clean and dry before I put the canvas cover on the engine. 

I was thinking about purchasing an engine cover. Where did you get yours or did you have a local shop fabricate one? I understand that Merc sells one on their web site.

Amazon has them .If you get one fabricated You may want to make sure it is lined 

Amazon has them .If you get one fabricated You may want to make sure it is lined 

Fur-lined..... like Jack's Speedo!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

How much lining is actually in a banana hammock? It does get cold up where he is!

Annnnnnd under the bus goes Jack!!!!! :p

Back