Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Wave damage to front panel

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by Mat240, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DD2075GL

DD2075GL Active Member

Little Ossipee Lake, East Waterboro, Maine
    I'm the one that renewed this post by commenting a month ago! We decided not to replace the panel yet, especially after finding out we needed to replace the whole thing, not just the colored panel part. It seems they must insert it in and then weld the rail. I didn't want to tap into our insurance after owning the boat only a year. Ours is only a small dent, too  

Mattsonjt, what a great idea to protect the rail in rough water!

We were not going fast when our dent happened, but we did have a full boat. Our lake rarely gets high waves from wind, our situation was more from the rare triple wave from multiple boats. It happened so quick I didn't even think about seeing what the wake boat looked like to chase him down to scold him. Since I didn't know the panels could dent from a wave,  I didn't think to look for damage!

My uncle's older pontoon boat has taken on many waves over the years and there has never been any damage. So I didn't even know this could happen. But his water just seemed to flow down the deck, not have the force of the wave hit the front... His boat's pontoons stick out a foot from his deck, he has about 2 feet of deck in front of the panels, and his panels are a little shorter....they seem a bit more rigid as a result. I don't know if the aluminum is stiffer or just the shortness allows for less give. I do notice the newer pontoon boats have decks that reach out to the end of the pontoons, which I think allow in the water to flow over the deck more easily when the pointy part of the toons dip in the water in a wave situation. 

I enjoy reading all your comments and I always find it helpful to share and learn! Thank you all!

2. Robert6401

Robert6401 Active Member

I never saw a solution .Did anyone have success pulling the front lounger and popping it out from the inside? What about a paintless dent repair person? Mine isn't as bad as the original post, so I'm thinking it will pop out and look okay . I figure it's worth a shot anyways .

3. myv10

myv10 Well-Known Member

Aluminum can't be straightened like steel, the dents can be pushed out but it will never look right.

cwag911 likes this.
  4. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

And the panels have a slight ribbing so that makes it even more difficult to get it to look normal. I would get a “j roller” and gently roll back and forth “from the inside” to try to work it out as best as possible.

5. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

I know the "correct" way is to hit waves at a 45 but down here that would literally put the corner of the bow directly into the meat of the wave. Depending on size I take the bigger ones on from almost parallel and it seems to work out nicely. For some reason here people seem to try and put out the most wake possible.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. kkruse1035

kkruse1035 Member

I bought a Bennington with the wave damage mentioned is this thread recently.

I removed the front lounger. It's 6 screws under the seat and a bolt through the fence next to gate.

From the inside I bent out the channel where the panel had been pushed out with a hooked scrapping tool. Carefully pushed the panel back in the channel. Hammered the dent out with a rubber mallet. Hammered the channel back flat and put the seat back. It's not perfect, but 100x better. Took about 1.5 hrs. Hopefully this will be of help to somebody. Hard to believe they damage this easily. My old Beni was 17 yrs old and never had a dent.

Attached Files:

7. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

Nice job. It looks a lot better in that last picture!

Michiman, kkruse1035 and lakeliving like this.
  8. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting and great job. I see a lot of dented plastic car bumpers that could be popped out with the help of a blow dryer and a rubber mallet. Aluminum is much harder to work with but you prove it can be done.

Vikingstaff and kkruse1035 like this.
  9. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

Are seats bolted through the deck or just screwed from the top?

Vikingstaff likes this.
  10. kkruse1035

kkruse1035 Member

Self tapping stainless screws (not bolted through) and one though the fence bolt. Much easier to remove than I thought it would be.

lakeliving and Vikingstaff like this.
  11. sonnyhad

sonnyhad Well-Known Member

Wow, those big waves are awfully heavy, tons of water soaking your boat. Yeah , I could see it doing that.