Went to boat show yesterday

Dr. Evil

Reaction score
So yesterday we went to the local boat show. Our Bennington dealer was there with quite a few boats but nothing we couldn't live without or at our price point. I don't have any pics but I thought it was amazing the way pontoon boats have evolved. 3 years ago the floor plans were pretty standard across all manufacturers and standard pricing was usually with a 50hp or maybe a 90hp.

One dealer for another brand had everything priced with a 90hp but a boat show special to upgrade to a 115 for $115.

We did see another brand 24' pontoon with a 150merc for $31k that was pretty loaded out but the floorplan was not something that I thought worked well at all.

If we upgrade we have settled on a floor plan and options. 22' rear couches, 115hp and extended swim platform.

Overall impressions:

It looks like low 30s is the starting price point for most tritoons that are at least 22' with 115hp.

Prices have went up across the board for every brand. My boat was $20.5k OTD with a trailer in 2013. Same setup is now about $24k and higher.

Yamaha still cost more than merc.

Quality of all boats has improved, for everyone. Probably why the price increases since the market is so competitive.

3 years ago a lot of boats still had 23" logs. I didn't see a single one of any brand at the show with 23" toons, Everything by everyone had 25".

Bars and rear loungers are in. Changing rooms are on the way out.

Pontoons are definitely in and mainstream. It looks like baby boomers are now moving to pontoons from v hulls for more room, smoother ride but still want a lot of the speed and ability. Deck boats are getting very popular too.

Just thought I'd share my impressions while I wait for spring and warm weather.

Nice analysis of the market. I think traditionally those who wanted to ski and have the family out on the water for a day were typically stuck with a v hull style speed boat. With the increase in hp behind toons and their improved handling in addition to comfort, it makes owning a tritoon a no brainer in my opinion. I wouldn't trade mine for any v hull/ski boat on my lake.

That's helpful info. I'd say you are spot on.

We purchased a Hurricane 196 Fun Deck in 1998 with a 125 Merc on it. It was the best of both worlds and performed flawlessly for the last 16 summers. We've now moved on to a 21 SLX and are sadly selling the Hurricane. Our needs and circumstances have change and we're looking forwardd to the Bennington. We go to pay for it in a couple of weeks.

Dan

We are glad you are here!

Was at my dealer Thursday .He told me that  there is a 1.5% increase May 1st 

Last edited by a moderator:
"Changing rooms are out."

This is a deal breaker for me. My wife refuses to boat without access to a portapottie. When I was shopping, she didn't care what brand, size, HP or color it was. Her only question was, "does it have a pottie?"

Manufacturers say the demand isn't there. That doesn't surprise me with the influx of new buyers. They simply don't know what they don't know. But I'm surprised by the rest. Not all of us have docks or public facilities with docks.

Even the new boats with changing rooms don't have a space below for a marine portapottie or even a 5 gallon bucket.

I'm going to try a poll in a separate post.

We have a "changing room " ( had one on the SLX also ) have never used it . But it is there if necessary .

We have a Privacy Room that's more than adequate. Had to make a frame around the pottie. Lifted it 4" It was too low for the War Dept. to sit comfortable.   it's there and when necessary and it's used. One thing on emptying it  I'll take care of #1 The one that leaves #2 has to do the emptying. Just my rules, cause I'm the Captain.

Changing rooms ain't just for changing and potties .... Just sayin .... :)

Sneaking onto the forum right.....or am I way off....

Waaaaaaay off ...... :)

Pics or it ain't true!!! Just kidding

We have a changing room with the curtain on our SL and have never used it. The entire space is used for storage of water toys, floats, noodles etc.

If you gotta pee just jump in the lake.

If ya gotta poop and you use the one on the boat no one will want to be your friend. We carry wet wipes and pull over to a wooded area usually.

If you gotta change clothes we just find a cove and maybe hold up a towel if needed.

I can see why the changing rooms are out.

Back