Wet Carpet

CastingCouch

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question, I recently bought a 2009 2574 GLi (used of course) and I see that the carpet is getting wet from the underside about 6 feet back from the bow of the boat. From the pattern of the wet spot it seems to start in the middle of the deck. I can only assume it's from a loose deck bolt or something of that nature. The boat is in the water so I haven't been able to get underneath to have a look at what the problem might be. Anyone else have this problem of a leaky deck from the underside?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Some have reported it and one of the solutions appears to be caulking but since I recently added underskinning to my boat IMO that will not only cure the problem the enhanced ride is worth every penny 

It's from the water hitting the cross members and it is getting in from underneath. There are a few people on this forum that has had the same problem. Aluminum under skinning would most likely solve the problem and benefit you with a better surge free ride. I'm sure others will chime in......

Underskin is the way to go but if you want to save money silicon calk works wonders. My old boat had the issue and I sealed all of the seams on the flooring with the silicon and it solved the issue.

I believe there's also a small water defector that's added at all the crossmembers where there'd be a plywood seam. It might be missing, but as stated high quality caulk would probably do the trick. Look for Phenoseal, highly flexible and excellent exterior use rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 2011 24SLI tritoon two weeks ago and have experienced the identical problem. My leak is right in the middle of the floor and I thought this was a defect that was going to be a reason to fight with my seller. Seems like it can be a straightforward fix, though. Can someone elaborate on the underskin solution -- what's involved, cost etc, and in particular if they've done that on a tritoon with any noticeable difference in noise or ride (it's pretty nice already). It sounds like the silicone is the most economical and an effective solution but I'd like to consider all the options. Thanks.

Do the underskin and you won't regret it. You'll swear it's a different boat. Or stop by and I'll take you out on ours before you decide.

Does Bennington sell an underskin kit or is one available aftermarket?

I thinking of going to a local metals shop to see if I could purchase some .06 aluminum skins and have them sheared and bent. However if Bennington had something pre made I'd rather go that route.

Check with your dealer Casting Couch, I bought mine from Bennington.  Bring your Hull ID number with you, it's the best way to ensure the right part gets ordered

Back