What do you take along?

Melbornj

Reaction score
So I just signed the paperwork for a 2017 22SSRX. This is the first boat we have owned. So the question is what do I need?  I mean beyond the legal stuff (life jackets, flares flotation device ect) What do you guys have as must haves on your boat?  Also does anybody have a pickup checklist?  Something that will give me a list of good things to look at when I pick up the boat. 

First and foremost, if you haven't done it, a BOATERS SAFETY COURSE. Many states have them online. If not, just do a search. Boat US may have one. Learn the "rules of the road" for boating. Learn visual lighting recognition, especially for night cruising. Also read through this thread.

Pretty much check every door, switch, light, gauge, stereo, etc....  Dealer should really have a checklist to go over the boat with you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and we take a boat bag with towels, sunscreen, munchies, wipes, multitool, small universal screwdriver, emergency ponchos and a drink bag.

We keep on the boat, binoculars, orange emergency boat paddles (good for visual distress signaling), whistle, small air horn and fishing rods (a must), and a small battery jump box. 

Seems like Semp has it covered.........

Keys, cooler, Go!!!

The best tip I can give isn't what to take.  The tip is to keep spare shorts, shirts, and an empty cooler in your car at all times. I go boating a lot of days with about an hour's notice. I don't have to go home first. Just stop to get some ice.  I can do a pit stop at the rest area off the interstate and change my clothes without getting out of the car in 60 seconds.  I've had lots of practice. Shoes, socks, and belt are off and shirt is unbuttoned before I even put the car in park.

Perk of living on the water, if you forget something you just pull back to the dock!

With the little guy we always have to make sure we have some snacks for him. I typically grab a hat and some shades and we're good to go.

Perk of living on the water, if you forget something you just pull back to the dock!

With the little guy we always have to make sure we have some snacks for him. I typically grab a had and some shades and we're good to go.

+1.

And on smaller lake (400 acres) not a long trip back if needed. 

As has been noted above, safety equipment required by the state in which you boat, some simple tools, an anchor and personal gear (towels, sunscreen, food/beverages) are must have's. 

I'd also recommend some spare fuses, an extra pair of sunglasses, some emergency money and if you have kids, some basic toys (pail, shovel, ball, etc.). We also have a couple of board games that get quite a bit of use while camped out at the sandbar (backgammon & Mancala). Both are fun, easy to play, store well and are wind-proof. 

The best tip I can give isn't what to take.  The tip is to keep spare shorts, shirts, and an empty cooler in your car at all times. I go boating a lot of days with about an hour's notice. I don't have to go home first. Just stop to get some ice.  I can do a pit stop at the rest area off the interstate and change my clothes without getting out of the car in 60 seconds.  I've had lots of practice. Shoes, socks, and belt are off and shirt is unbuttoned before I even put the car in park.

I had a 10 minute drive from work to standing next to my boat on the lift. On my way out the door at work I'd stop and change just my shorts. Everything else was off by the time I got to my truck. Now that I think about it, I could have just worn my speedo to work... 

True story ... I wrap a towel around my waist and change on boat. I could care less, but being public park, it would not be good if someone saw me nekkid on boat. Other than that, I could care less ........... 

Lifes-Short-Boat-Naked-Decal_-8BitThis__38403.1486318793.500.750.jpg

Our setup for heading to the boat for the day is a trusty boat bag like THIS  one found on amazon that has a nautical theme.  Ours hangs in a closet right inside the front door and in it we keep the boat keys in a zippered pocket - several different sunscreens (stuff for your face - sprays and lotion variety) - the vhf handheld radio - small towel - the wife's book to read at the sandbar - the dry bag that floats (keep the cell phones and my wallet in there).  The beach towels are something we bring along only as we need them whether for swimming or for guests to sit on while underway....our other towels stay on the boat for the weekend in the ottoman

The rest of the gear stays in the boat.

First and foremost, if you haven't done it, a BOATERS SAFETY COURSE. Many states have them online. If not, just do a search. Boat US may have one. Learn the "rules of the road" for boating. Learn visual lighting recognition, especially for night cruising. Also read through this thread.

Pretty much check every door, switch, light, gauge, stereo, etc....  Dealer should really have a checklist to go over the boat with you. 

I'm about half way through my online boaters safety course. 

I assumed the dealer had a checklist of things like when I bought my camper. I found a checklist for that on a forum of things the dealer did not go over that I should look at. It was based on other buyers experiences and I found it very helpful to get things fixed before I took delivery. 

I would recommend checking to make sure all of your lights work (navigation, courtesy & docking) as well as the 12V plugs. I didn't discover mine didn't until after delivery and was without same for the season. My dealer tells me they have them fixed now, but before I splash it this year, I'm going to verify for myself.

I also have a portable battery jump pack just in case the battery dies. You can get them at Costco. I have never used it on my boat but I have helped others with it. 

Pre-Season Checklist:

• Registration stickers (odd years)
  • Registration papers in boat
  • Trailer Registration in boat
  • Tire pressure
  • Polish pontoons
  • Wax fence
  • 303 vinyl
  • Vacuum
  • Battery Install
  • Lube cover snaps
  • Start engine (muffs)
  • Grease steering (motor) and 2 zerks
  • Grease prop splines
  • Check wheel bearing grease
  • Inspect bunk carpet
  • Other motor maint? Plugs, impeller, etc.

Trailering Checklist – Trailer, Vehicle and Boat

• Attach mirror extensions on truck
  • Install hitch and cotter pin
  • Install light plug
  • Attach trailer
  • Close ball latch
  • Check that ball is clamped in correctly
  • Insert safety pin
  • Attach safety chains to vehicle
  • Attach emergency brake cable to vehicle
  • Connect lights to vehicle
  • Winch locked and tight
  • Install front tie-down or safety chain
  • Crank down trailer
  • Put tongue wheel up and lock
  • Check lights working
  • Check tire pressure
  • Check wheel bearings
  • Motor down and straight
  • Install rear tie-downs
  • Ladder up and locked
  • Bimini in radar position and struts locked
  • Cover snaps secure. If not covering, remove all loose items from boat
  • Remove wheel chocks
  • All 3 gates shut and locked
  • Fenders/bumpers stowed
  • Test trailer brakes when pulling out

Heading Out on Lake – Safety Items:

• Life vests – Tell passengers where they are.
  • Kids – Vests on. Check for tightness now, might forget before they jump in.
  • Sunblock
  • Everyone in the boat? Seated?
  • Count passengers
  • Remove keys from ignition when stopped
  • Motor trimmed down when off, turn prop away from ladder

Heading Out on Lake - Starting Motor:

• Swimmers in boat
  • Propeller Clear
  • Ladder Up
  • Secure or stow loose items
  • Start motor, check motor cooling stream running
  • Motor Won’t Start – Neutral? Safety Lanyard?
  • Take in Bumpers/Fenders after leaving dock

Coming in from Lake - Docking:

• Bumpers out
  • Lines ready
  • Boat hook ready
  • Remind passengers to stay seated
  • Give assignments if needed

Post Docking List:

• Motor Down (don’t hit back of garage)
  • Ladder Up
  • Bimini Lowered (don’t hit garage door)
  • Dash Switches Off
  • Key Off
  • Dock Lines Tight
  • Cover on if needed.

I posted this a while back with a LOT of help from other forum members. I basically just gathered the comments and put them all together in one list...

Before you leave to pick up the boat:
Call insurance company back to verify your coverage is "in the system".
Verify hitch ball size with dealer. Likely 2" ball.
Ask dealer about motor break-in period and warm-up period.
Find out your state's boat registration grace period
Verify price was as quoted and includes freight, prep, battery, prop, etc “ready to run”, plus tax/title/reg.

Things to bring with you:
Electrical adapter (truck to trailer)
Tongue Lock (may not be necessary)
Hitch Lock (may not be necessary)
Tie Downs
Tie Downs (Yes, I know that's listed twice. Don't even THINK about moving the boat without making sure it's tied well to the trailer.)
A car GPS or iPhone or Android app to GPS speed test.
Side view mirror extensions, if you need them.

Things to check while at the dealership:
Hull ID # -
Check that you have the right boat if the dealer told you what the hull ID was in advance.
Trailer Serial Number
Motor Serial Number and Manufacture Date

Boat Inspection:

OPTIONS/UPGRADES:
Bring your option list (from Build a Boat) and use it to check that all options ordered are on the boat.

BOAT : Check above options, check for defects, check railings for sharp edges, check pontoon tubes for slag, look for metal drill filings, open/close all storage areas, changing room, open/close all gates, check captain seat adjustments, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, stereo/speakers, raise/lower bimini, check LEDs, bow lights, mast light, horn, spare keys, 12 V socket. Check all electrical items and anything that moves.

TRAILER: Make sure turn signals and brake lights work, test surge brakes, verify bunks and guides tight, all bolts tight, carpet/glides secure and complete, wiring attached securely

MOTOR: Size/model correct, check manufacture date, prop correct size/pitch/brand

TEST RIDE: Verify depth graph works, power trim/tilt, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), verify top speed was what the dealer told you, check anything else used while boat is in motion, check all electrical items. Check for vibrations.

PAPERS: Make sure you leave with all documents and manuals, including those for the motor and trailer.

TOWING HOME - If you tow it without the cover on, make sure all removable items are removed so they don't blow out on the road. This includes the table and any seat cushions that come off. USE YOUR TIE-DOWNS!

Didn't see where you are boating, but we boat in the Gulf of Mexico and down in the Keys, sometimes  > 15 miles offshore, so we are never without the following:

1. Fixed VHF radio on the boat.  You want to ensure if you get in trouble (or you accidentally dunk your cell phone - ask me how I know LOL) you can call for help.  A fixed radio can transmit with 25w of power (vs handheld that can only transmit with 6w).  It is tied into our Garmin GPS, although you can get the Standard Horizon GX1700 w/built-in GPS for about $200. If you get into trouble, push the RED button, and it instantly sends your LAT/LONG out.  I know that I'll be able to hit a USCG tower, or SeaTow/TowBoatUS tower.  25 is better than 6!  :D  

16263287_FUL.jpeg

2. Personal Ditch Bags.  Blondie and I both have our own.  They are a 5 liter dry bags that we keep our emergency gear in.  They are always handy on one of the seats.  If we get in any kind of rough water, these get strapped around our waists.  We originally got one for her while she's out on her jet ski, but like it so much I purchased one for me as well.  They're really great.

8d9317a3-c254-449f-8d8b-da45dbd8af06_1.bd3b470e0a9af54939046101c3a4e880.jpeg

3.  PLB.  Blondie and I each have our own that we keep in our personal ditch bags.  Currents are strong enough that if you go in the water you might not make it back to the boat - especially in an emergency.  Having this on your person will allow you to signal your positon down to < 10'.  We have 2 in the event we were to get separated.

aqualinkview_product-view_406-sent_72res.png

4.  Handheld VHF radios (2).  Again we both have one in our personal ditch bags.  They're cheap, waterproof, and could save your life.  When we filled out our SAR cards for the PLBs, we put in the comments "survivor has VHF radio and will be monitoring CH 16".  These combined with the PLBs will get you rescued.

5.  A bottle of water in each of the ditch bags.

May seem extreme, but should the need arise, I wouldn't want to be without them.

This is all great information for Clueless Noobs, thanks! Copied down to a word document & kept on my phone & tablet.

As a soon to be first time boat owner, this was great information.  I have saved all of it.  Thanks for sharing everyone!

Back