What is this piece for and can I tie off to it?

Resqu2

Reaction score
My 2012 only has two cleats, one on each side on the back of the boat, Nothing up front besides what I show in the pic and both front sides have one of these. Also on the front of the toons have a nice big hole in them that I'm wondering if it's safe to tie off to them? It's stamped not to use for lifting. When I say tie off, I mean tie up at my dock where my pontoon will live all summer.

This is my first boat so I'm trying to figure all this out before I take it to the lake for the first time. Btw, I'm not opposed to buying more cleats for the front of the boat if I need to but I know the previous owner keep it at a marina for a summer or two, just not sure what he did to secure it.

Weird. both of my S models did not have those. Sounds like thery were in lieu of front cleats though?

I'd look closely to see if those are thru-bolted to the frame. If they are, then...if it were me...I'd tie to them. If not...If it were me...I wouldn't.

I had them on my last boat, they were used instead of having front cleats. So yes it is just fine to tie off to these..

a6e12b150df58f202f4ec1a867a6e150_zps34f626e6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have those in the middle of the 25' boat.  I use them to tie to the dock.  If your rope has an eye, I put the eye through it and thread the rope through the rope eye and cinch it tight, then tie to the dock. 

Those loops are on the aluminum  rub rail.  If your in any kind of rough water at the dock or where there's a current I wouldn't us them. Get some GOOD cleats with backing plates. One for each corner. if you ever had to be towed I wouldn't bank on the loops staying put, the pulling pressure would also deform the rub rail let alone pull the loops out. You need STRONG, not pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I had those instead of front cleats on my 22 SSX. My dealer is pretty clueless, but he assured me those were just as good as cleats. 

Mine were plenty strong. Mine were mounted through frame. 

You should be able to look under the rub rail and see how they are mounted,

Mine were plenty strong. Mine were mounted through frame. 

You should be able to look under the rub rail and see how they are mounted,
The bolts go all the way through and has a thin metal backing plate on them. I think I will pick up a few cleats just to have on the very front as I'm docking beside another boat (double space) and I think I need to be able to tie off in a few places at the very front of the boat and still may use these to. Thanks for the quick answers, great forum here and thanks for putting up with the new guys silly questions, I'm sure I will have more.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the boat.

If those loops go through the frame and have the backing plate, they are cleats "of a different style".  Go ahead and use them.

You also spoke about the "big holes" in the front of the toons, those are lifting eyes and are plenty strong enough to tie to.

WELCOME to the Forum!

Welcome aboard! We love silly questions. I've yet to hear one (there's no such thing)!

Questions like yours keeps this forum going. Look at the response  Welcome aboard  Going to be a good Sunday I hope to get the wrap off mine and prepare for a season launch on Wednesday.  

We have ropes attached and use them as spring lines.  They are close to the gates so it is very easy to grab the rope when stepping onto the dock. 

Back