What kind of speed should I expect from a 90 hp 2275?

Bugsbunnyboater

Reaction score
First I have to say thanks for the help.  I have been asking question about a used Bennington.

I was wondering what speed I should expect from a 90hp 2 stroke on a 2275.

My current pontoon is a sweetwater with a 25hp tohatsu.  At times I think I am the slowest thing on the river.  :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
20-24.

I feel for you .... I am on a 20 hp restricted lake. 

Pro: I can go forever on 5 gallons of gas.

Cons:

It takes me forever to get there. 

Geese swim past me at full throttle.  :wacko:

I think some ducks passed me up and laughed at me.  But I did pass a lady in a canoe  on the river.   Wot gets me about 10 knots  

That's about max for me with clean toons. 

goldnrod's estimate is a good guess. The unknown variables are log diameter, prop, polished toons vs covered with algae, and onboard weight.  Adding 450 lbs of extra passengers cut my speed from 21 to 13.

Hard to say really, I have a 2275GCW with the Yamaha 150, full fuel with 5 adults on board we hit 30... The other day I was on the boat solo with just over a 1/4 tank of fuel and hit 32.... I'm sure wind direction and chop has a lot to do with it

Hard to say really, I have a 2275GCW with the Yamaha 150, full fuel with 5 adults on board we hit 30... The other day I was on the boat solo with just over a 1/4 tank of fuel and hit 32.... I'm sure wind direction and chop has a lot to do with it

A little surprised by your numbers jrochin.  Thought 32 was a little low and then with 5 adults only a 2mph drop off.  My 2275RL does 30 with a Yamaha 115 [with express toon] but once I start taking on a crowd have more dramatic loss of mph.

Think once I get home I will run some stats and ask some of the prop guys for advice

A little surprised by your numbers jrochin.  Thought 32 was a little low and then with 5 adults only a 2mph drop off.  My 2275RL does 30 with a Yamaha 115 [with express toon] but once I start taking on a crowd have more dramatic loss of mph.

Think once I get home I will run some stats and ask some of the prop guys for advice

I plan to do a solo pass then come straight to the dock, pick up a group and do it again, so wind/water conditions are a little more similar for a comparison.  I also have the standard pontoons if that makes much a difference I don't know

I plan to do a solo pass then come straight to the dock, pick up a group and do it again, so wind/water conditions are a little more similar for a comparison.  I also have the standard pontoons if that makes much a difference I don't know

post your mph numbers and your rpm numbers as well.  Also include your current prop info and one of our prop guys can probably help you out

Back